Help identifying

dncnchrsty

My husband and I decided that we would like to work on restoring a sail boat as a summer project - first of all we are having difficulty finding out information about the boat we bought on Craigslist for $25.00.

The guy sold it to us with no title (lost title - he bought it at a salvage yard over two years ago) and there is no serial number on this boat anywhere. There is a plate that reads, Fillip Mfg. Co. , there is a boat number and it says 1923 AUSTIN SAN ANEGLO, TEXAS. There is absolutely no serial number anywhere on this boat.

It is in the original condition and shows VERY LITTLE signs of use. Through the little bit of research I did online I am leaning towards the thought that this is a 1971 or 1972 Sunfish. The reason I am leaning toward that is it has the storage compartment at the aft and it says online that pre 1973 sailboats did not all have serial numbers. Is this true? Can someone please help me figure this out so I can apply for lost title or know where to begin? Thanks!:)

You are right. Upon going out and inspecting the boat I was surprised to find the faded words "Starfish". AWESOME! So did I do okay as far as the purchase price? We are VERY new to this - if you can't tell and are very excited about the project. My three year old and I just came in from washing it. :)

we are having difficulty finding out information about the boat we bought on Craigslist for $25.00. The guy sold it to us with no title and there is no serial number on this boat anywhere. There is absolutely no serial number anywhere on this boat.
Boats in this category don't come with titles, just the sales receipt. Since late 1972 (boat models, 1973) the feds have required manufacturers to put a Hull ID on boats. Before then it was just the manufacturer's own ID plate or label in whatever form they chose.

If your state requires a sailboat of this size to be registered, they will issue you a "serial number" should your boat not have one.

It is in the original condition and shows VERY LITTLE signs of use.

Good find, especially at that price.

You are right. Upon going out and inspecting the boat I was surprised to find the faded words "Starfish". AWESOME! So did I do okay as far as the purchase price? We are VERY new to this - if you can't tell and are very excited about the project.
The Starfish is one of many Sunfish knock-offs that appeared back in the '60s and '70s. It seems to have been constructed well and reports are it sails very similarly.

For the most part, today's general boat fittings will work on the Starfish. In some instances Sunfish parts will fit or can be easily adapted. The rudder is the one item that is proprietary and unique in its attachment hardware. Should a piece break or go missing you'll need to improvise since no new parts are available any longer.

Starfish Brochure, Contributed by Major H.
Sunfish_Sailor Clonefish Documents
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor

Attachments

• Starfish-Brochure.pdf
    198.1 KB · Views: 68
That's great! Thank you so much for all your help. We are searching online for a new rudder and extension - basically the entire kit to redo the rudder. It looks like they may have improvised and put together something but it clearly will not work. Where would you suggest looking for that? Would a Sunfish rudder and kit work?

I really appreciate all your help. We are very excited about this project. Should be fun for the family. :)

We are searching online for a new rudder and extension - basically the entire kit to redo the rudder.

Where would you suggest looking for that? Would a Sunfish rudder and kit work?
Oops..., that's not a good part to have missing. There's an outside chance you'll discover another Starfish that's being sold off in parts, but, that's a real long shot.

Check the For Sale section here for Al Glos' ad ... Sunfish Parts and Gear Garage Sale
[email protected]

You can adapt a rudder from another brand of boat. Only thing is, none of them are cheap. New, you can expect costs to be anywhere from $200 to nearly $500. Used is less ... cost varies with brand and availability. But, you'll also need to do some measuring of the back of your boat to see what will fit.

Do you have any pieces or parts left from the old rudder assembly?
  • There's the rudder blade, the paddle that sticks in the water.
  • There's a rudder head, the hardware that holds the blade and connects it with the tiller.
  • The tiller, the arm you steer with.
  • And the Gudgeon & Pintle set, the hinge that attaches the rudder assembly to the back of the boat (the transom)

Other options would be...

to make your own.

Rudder heads and Pintle sets can be purchased from companies like RWO

R0802_t.jpg
R0625_t.jpg

You could then make a blade and tiller

Or contact a custom rudder maker like JO Woodworks... http://www.jowoodworks.com

sailfish-rudder-tiller-extension-150x150.jpg

and have them make the tiller and blade for you.

Can you post some pictures of what you are working with ?

Here's a picture of what the POS 72 SF rudder mount bracket looks like, minus the flag.

http://my2fish.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/sunfish-trailer-flag/

If this fits on the transom of your boat I'd say this is your best bet. Then you'll need a rudder head, tillers straps etc.

http://www.westcoastsailing.net/default/boat-parts/sunfish/blades-tillers.html

You can make the rudder and tiller yourself for about $60 bucks worth of wood.

http://www.sunfishdirect.com/sunfish.php?p=sunfish_rudder

There's a few things I let out, if you ask I'm sure someone will sell you a used assembly.

Back