Vang max-OFF - how to rig?

DonS

I want to tweak my Vang purchase line with a stopper ball set to the maximum OFF. After playing with it a while I realized true Vang max-OFF is entirely dependent on the location of the Clew to the end of the boom (w/clew strap attached).

Because I found if the Outhaul is fully ON (Clew is all the way out to the end of the boom) - it raises the boom slightly - and automatically tightens the Vang assembly slightly.
Conversely, if the Outhaul is way, way OFF then the boom lowers and the Vang assembly slackens. Both situations have a noticible effect on how much purchase line hangs out of the Vang cleat.

So, I assume my Outhaul must be set to completely OFF – before - setting the Vang max-OFF stopper.

But if this is true, then how do I first determine Outhaul max-OFF? (again, I assume it is based on the sail’s foot relative to the boom, horizontally).

Once I set Outhaul max-OFF properly:
First, should my Vang assembly be just snug enough to fit the
Vang key into the Vang boom attachment - without pulling down on
the boom (leaving little or no slack)?

Then will I now set the stopper right at the base of the Vang cleat? - or
should I allow a few more inches of potential slack – just in case?

Yes, I am probably overthinking this…

I received a private reply last night and drew up a visual on his suggestion. Thank you 'mystery man'.

Attachments

• Vang Rigging.jpg
    Vang Rigging.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 107
Ive always been a fan of having max off marks on my control lines, mostly with the cunningham and outhaul... With the vang , I like to leave a little extra, maybe 4-6 inches after max off, so I can blow out the leech just a little bit more if conditions lighten up and I need to sail WAY by the lee, opposed to jibing...
I have visual marks on my vang that line up with the double block that allow me to get upwind settings/downwind settings before rounding the marks, this is just a rough setting, and I fine tune it after rounding, but it gets me in the neighborhood.
Hope this helps!

Back