Upgrades?

Mick

Ok, so I've bought a Laser and it doesn't have the upgrades for either the vang or the outhaul. How big of a deal is this really? (it's currently set up with thimbles) I'm not planning on racing right away...I'd like to spend some time just dorking around on it, checking things out & getting comfortable.

How important are the upgrades with regards to learning to sail a laser well?

Thanks,

Mick

Mick,

I've been racing keelboats for a number of years in Chicago, and am a decent sailor. Stepping into the Laser class, I was lucky enough to buy one that had the upgrades. I'd sailed Lasers before without the new vang/outhaul/downhaul, and noticed that it was easier to adjust the sail controls, particularly on a beat. However, since racing the laser since last October, all of my problems have not come from being slow with the controls. It is a much bigger priority to simply get out and learn to sail the boat better.
For me, its nice to have an upgraded boat, but not neccesary, as Im still learning how to be a "one man band" and steer the damn thing, while doing the trimmers job, and the tacticians job. :>
That said, if you want to prioritze, I'd definitely do the vang first. For me, it made more difference that the new style out/downhaul. I'm sure others will have opinions on this, and you should probably listen to theirs over mine, since I've just started in the class.
If you ever want to come out and watch a CYC frostbite race, we do most sundays until May. You can park in the Monroe street garage, and they probably won't mind if you hang out in the tent that faces the water. You can take a look at the boats, talk to the sailors, possibly take one out. I have a fugly light blue hull and wear a dark green drysuit.

good luck with Lasering,
Kristian

For not much money ($24-$30?) you can replace the loops/thimbles in your vang with a couple of small blocks. The improvement is pretty dramatic, although you'll still have all the problems of releasing the vang from the crummy cleat block at the weather mark. Upwind at least you can fairly eaisly adjust the vang tension as the wind changes.

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering

Attachments

• LaserVang.jpeg
    LaserVang.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 62
  • KeyBlock.jpeg
    KeyBlock.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
Sounds about right....Lasers were sailed for how many years with out them, so I guess I can live that way for a while too. I do like the idea of just replacing them with a few inexpensive blocks...Crawl before you walk!

Hey Kristian,

One of these days, you'll absolutely be seeing me down there. It's been crazy lately, but it's definitely in the plans!

Mick

I've been sailing a Laser for about a year now... I've never had the upgrades on my Laser, and when I was learning to sail it I would just set the controls before I left the beach and not touch them until I arrived back in again. Since then i've become fairly competetive in club racing, and i've made modifications to my controls to make them easier to adjust. My vang is very similar to Geoff's, and i've added some pullies to my outhaul and downhaul. I find that these modifications make it more than easy enough to make adjustments while racing. I manage to be competetive against the 'turno' rig Lasers.

Back