tech term?

littleolson

What's the technical term for that exact moment just before you capsize and you know for sure you're going over?
I say several things to myself but none are printable here. Have fun with this okay.

"Oh s--t!" (with a falling inflection) will suffice and seems to be the most common "I am about to take a bath" sentiment.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I like Al's reply. The O.S. realization point.

You'd be crossing the O.S. boundry or reaching the O.S. zone. Beyond this point you would see a sharp increase in the O.S. factor and a rapid decrease in the HWT (Hey Watch This) factor. Once the boat is completely turtled you will have reached the apex of the O.S. curve or achieved maximum O.S. Now you are in D.S.

Seriously, I believe it would be named the point of maximum heel or the apex of heeling moment. You might need another healing moment - at least I always do.

Molly,

Like your answer. Here is a photo of me after passing the O.S stage and acheiving maximum O.S. or the D.S. stage. Now I am trying to get out of D.S (I was succesfull, after all practice makes perfect). Enjoy (Photo by our club photographer Margaret).

Attachments

• 20050501_09ArentYouGladTheyDredged_5104 dc.jpg
    20050501_09ArentYouGladTheyDredged_5104 dc.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 57
Oooohhhh that "point of no return".... the point of Zero Stability. I know it well. I've often pondered why time seems to distort, and that odd slow-motion seems to set in. I'm sure it has something to do with Physics or Meta-physics..... or how much Rum I had the night before.

Back