Tacking Exercises

Hi,

I will be going out the third time this weekend on my laser.
I am a newbie.

My second outing was a bit of a disaster as the wind was quite strong and I found tacking very difficult as I let go of everything in order just to stay in the laser.
Are there any exercises/practices that I can do to help me with tacking.

Another thing, I am in South Africa and though I use all the sun protection products, I do find that the sun really fries/burns my arms. It is much too hot for wetsuits.
How do you guys protect your arms..........

As newbies we also have difficulties tacking in strong winds (though Alex finds it easier as she normally says "wind's too strong, your turn dad) but I've found that letting go of everything doesn't help. You lose all control and speed and cannot tack. Hard to get used to, but you must keep speed up and maintain control.
Others will have better answers.

Long sleeved rash vest (a "rashie" where I come from) with sun protection seems to keep arms unburnt

Alex/Steve

Thanks for the feedback.

Another question about tacking.

At what point while tacking do you move your body from one side of the boat to the other.

Depends on the breeze. If you're roll tacking in light air you move up after the sail has crossed over. As the wind increases you move over sooner.

In big breeze my body is in the cockpit just as the boom hits centerline and I'm kissing my ankles trying to get under that damn super vanged boom!

Where in SA do you sail? You were lucky to have that much wind .. in fact any wind at all!!

I burn very easily but find Everysun Factor 40 does fine for me against the Highveld sun. Alternatively as Alex/Steve suggested, a long-sleeve rash vest from any surf shop should do, SportsMans Warehouse may be cheaper though.

OK, never been to Benoni, I wanted to go the Benoni Open on the 23rd, but I don't have a trailer and am struggling to find one [plus i was doing a first aid course that weekend! :) ].

I sail at Rietvlei [PSC]. No wind for us though last weekend, lets hope tomorrow is better!

Back