Sunfish storage on PWC lift

Supercar

I would like to use a PWC lift for a sunfish during the summer. I have seen others mention that they use modified PWC lifts, but I cannot find details of how they modified them. I understand that it is not good to store a sunfish hull on bunks.

Does anybody on this forum store their sunfish on a PWC lift or have ideas on how best to modify one to properly support a sunfish?

I understand that it is best to store a sunfish hull upside down, but it may not be that easy to flip on a lift.

Thanks,
Dave

I would like to use a PWC lift for a sunfish during the summer. I have seen others mention that they use modified PWC lifts, but I cannot find details of how they modified them. I understand that it is not good to store a sunfish hull on bunks. Does anybody on this forum store their sunfish on a PWC lift or have ideas on how best to modify one to properly support a sunfish? I understand that it is best to store a sunfish hull upside down, but it may not be that easy to flip on a lift. Thanks,
Dave

I've seen PWC ("Jet-Ski") lifts of two kinds: one is attached to a dock, and the other is totally independent—sitting by gravity on a lake bottom. One is attached to a dock supporting a Hobie 16 catamaran! ('Guess it got modified :p ) My concern is to keep the PWC-stored Sunfish from a storm "cell" blowing it away! :eek:

This may be an opportunity to use heavy straps across the existing PWC bunks. :cool: (Use fire hose, heavy netting or 8" yellow 18-wheeler strapping). See if the present bunks can be adjusted outwards to accommodate the Sunfish's wide stance, then secure two or three of the heavy material across the existing bunks (crosswise). One (fat) polyethylene "horse lead" could be secured over the Sunfish to keep the boat from blowing off the lift. Horse lead is strong, it floats, and is gentle on the hands—and has a snap-clip for ease of securing.

The last step is to display photos of the design and the finished product here and then—borrowing your design—I'll build my own. ;)

Good idea! :)

Attachments

• 090928[1].jpg
    090928[1].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 40
I would like to use a PWC lift for a sunfish during the summer. I have seen others mention that they use modified PWC lifts, but I cannot find details of how they modified them. I understand that it is not good to store a sunfish hull on bunks.

Does anybody on this forum store their sunfish on a PWC lift or have ideas on how best to modify one to properly support a sunfish?

I understand that it is best to store a sunfish hull upside down, but it may not be that easy to flip on a lift.

Thanks,
Dave

I store my sunfish on a small boat lift. No modification was necessary. I put a cover over the boat and use a couple of straps to hold it in place, one of which goes around the lift supports. I don't flip the sunfish, as that would require getting in the water with jellyfish, something I like to avoid.

We did have very high water once that nearly floated the boat away (now I ensure the lift is higher than the pier instead of just being clearly out of the water) and the strap held the boat in place, although a little offset. The cover ended up with a slight tear, which I have plans to reinforce by running the strap along the cover in addition to under the cover.

I also learned to not put the daggerboard in the cockpit well, but instead place it across the cockpit well too prevent a low point where water can collect on the cover.

This may not be optimal, but is easier than dragging the boat over the rocks ashore, even with the kayak dolly wheels.

Thanks for your responses. I had just read that it wasn't the best to store a sunfish on bunks even on a trailer. I had thought about trying to put heavy straps across to cradle the hull, but I'm not sure how easy that would be and if it would provide enough support.

We are on a small reservoir and water levels don't come up quickly except in the spring when they are bringing water in. I would definitely raise it high enough to be out of the water and strap it down in case of wind storms. There is a lake association and they are always sending out email about lost and found items that have floated away because they weren't tied down well enough.

Thanks,
Dave

We have the same situation: Spring's snowy runoff raises the lake through June/July, then the level sinks until the end of Winter.

Fire hose, even in used condition, is very strong. One strap of only 3" across will easily hold a person's weight. Maybe at a yard sale, I came into possession of 6" wide fire hose—so ridiculously strong—I had to cut it with an axe! :eek: There's probably other types of heavy strapping available at Tractor-Supply or a local trucking supply store.

Straps would have to be installed tightly across, so the Sunfish could float on and off without binding—plus, the Sunfish would have to be fully unloaded into the water (launching and recovering). Note that with two or more straps, the Sunfish's weight would be concentrated on the chines and keel—which is perfect. :cool:

I wouldn't stand on the Sunfish while it's supported :( whether by straps or wooden bunks.

Using my ample draftsman's skills :p below is sketch of how the straps would be attached, putting the lag bolts (with fender washers) in "shear" to the lifting strain:

Untitled%20-%20Paint%209122015%2080852%20AM.bmp_zps4sgeafoz.jpg

If you have extra fire hose left over, you can always make a strong hammock for your pets.

Fullscreen%20capture%209122015%2085305%20AM.bmp_zpsvb4yqskn.jpg

;)

Back