Sunfish instruction vacation?

barnmom

Just realized I have a block of time free mid May. I would like to find a vacation destination where I can take some lessons to increase my sunfish sailing skills. I have no clue if such places exist but if they do I absolutely know you all will be the source of info!

bitter end at virgin gorda. i dont think they do sunfish but pretty much all the other things. i *think* theyre open now but not sure. place rocks. and they have races in the harbor.

I was there about eight years ago. Loved it! Looked at their web site this morning. No more huts in the hills. Now huts waterside sort of over the water like in Tahiti. Great recommendation.

Sunfish are so universally prevalent that almost any travel destination with water nearby will likely have them available to guests, usually free of charge, and with staff available to provide instruction and assistance. Contacting them in advance to be 100% sure is not a bad idea.

I found that to be the case with every Caribbean destination that I visited, though I usually chose to take out a catamaran or windsurfer.

Not the Bitter End at this time. The place was destroyed by successive storms and is in the process of getting rebuilt. No Sunfishes and no Lasers either right now; just Hobies.
Best Resort in Virgin Gorda, BVI | Bitter End Yacht Club (beyc.com)
yeah...i knew they were working on it. but i was over looking at the website a couple of months back basically searching for the same thing and found what im pretty sure barnmom found. beach chalets and theyre advertising seemingly 420s the rhodes, etc etc. but i think the homepage says theyre supposed to be open this past fall. but that might be the main resort and restaurant. dunno. just tossed it out there. i bareboated in several years ago on a 52 with some friends out of the moorings. anchored in the harbor at virgin gorda and we went in and took out one of those little hobies and interefered with the "race". there was no wind. everyone was bobbing around and they called the race. it was really fun though. i know they have instructors etc and its on my list of places to get back to and stay. only got one overnight there but it was very nice.

I was there about eight years ago. Loved it! Looked at their web site this morning. No more huts in the hills. Now huts waterside sort of over the water like in Tahiti. Great recommendation.
the hillside ones....oh man those were on my list. with the steps to your own beach during your stay? uh...yes please.

Just realized I have a block of time free mid May. I would like to find a vacation destination where I can take some lessons to increase my sunfish sailing skills. I have no clue if such places exist but if they do I absolutely know you all will be the source of info!
where R U now?

Isn't Lee Montes in long island?

If you are near him he is a goto guy on the Sunfish. You might be able to hook up with him and the people he knows and learn a gold mine of sunfish sailing.

Isn't Lee Montes in long island?

If you are near him he is a goto guy on the Sunfish. You might be able to hook up with him and the people he knows and learn a gold mine of sunfish sailing.
He is and I was actually thinking the same thing!

However warm clear water with nice breezes all day.....mmmm

Caribbean Journal: British Virgin Islands' Bitter End Yacht Club Debuts New Villas.
The Bitter End used to have a great many (40??) cottages; some at sea level, others up on the hill. It was always a (very) expensive place to stay in those, but there were enough people that loved it.
Now there are just two waterfront cottages; I wonder how expensive they are.
I do hope that more cottages will be built, but if so, that will take time.

The Bitter End used to have a great many (40??) cottages; some at sea level, others up on the hill. It was always a (very) expensive place to stay, but there were enough people that loved it.
Now there are just two waterfront cottages; I wonder how expensive they are.
I do hope that more cottages will be built, but if so, that will take time.
i cant imagine there wont be more. im sure theres a very long wait list. never stayed in one as we were transient. ive shopped them many times thinking of going. didnt seem way outta whack. but they looked very nice. 5 years of rebuilding just demonstrates the challenges of getting things done there. island time. that article just turned up in my news today. also to note if the fact they are in fact open. im guessing the hotel is.

i looked at packing out and heading there right after the storm went through. my friends there were like "dont come. its not good". then i started seeing stories of the pirates grabbing boats offshore. they were desperate for everything. so its definitely nice to see it hopefully turning around some. my friends who were there left. but still some old racing buds in usvi. but they got there after.

Back