Sunfish Gathering just for fun?

wardie

I've read on different forums like the Potters and Trailor Sailors where they just trailer somewhere convenient and a bunch of them get together for a weekend. Has anything ever been attempted or done with the Sunfish group?

It seems not as much as in the past, but it's a good idea. Loosely organized is probably better because people worry about liability and such more these days than in the past. Maybe a waterfront park or similar neutral launch area. Several years ago there were a handful of gatherings like that up a ways on the Hudson, including one very impromptu outing one spring when the northern snows were melting. I travelled over to a couple and had a very memorable time.

Something like a Narragansett Bay outing could be fun. Down south, Mobile Bay has possibilities for something like this, or maybe the IC in Florida. There used to be an around Jamestown 'race' in RI that included a beach lunch stop, and was really nice.

I could even see doing something in Casco Bay. There is one particularly good park site that allows camping with showers and such, with beach launching, and is a scenic sail to some island nature preserves as well as town dock-side lobster places and such.

Everyone once in their lives should do the Around Shelter Island event, which is as much an adventure as a race. Shelter Island and Jamestown were more organized, with a chase boat to make sure everyone made it back, but more spontaneous events would be fun.

With a little advance notice, this kind of thing might take off. It would really 'add value' to Sunfish ownership.

Thanks. that was a really good question!

Hey Minifish2 good thing replies aren't worth a buck I wouldn't have enough for a cup of coffee! Thanks and I am going to look up Around Shelter Island event to see what its all about. Wardie

Thanks and I am going to look up Around Shelter Island event to see what its all about. Wardie

It's called the World's Longest Sunfish Race Around Shelter Island. I've done it a few times, but not in the past decade or so, and I have to say it is one of those things every Sunfish sailor really has to do at least once. We're lucky to have the dedicated folks at Southold YC to keep this long tradition alive. If more clubs had something like this the Sunfish Class would be so much better for it.

Unfortunately it is only once per year. The premise is simple. Everyone starts out at the Southold Yacht Club beach (see their site) and sails the 26 miles around Shelter Island, ending back by the club. All levels of Sunfish show up, but basic seamanship skills are important as you cross a couple of ferry routes and such. It is an exhilerating event. They have a club powerboat follow the fleet so if anyone gets over their head there is help. Sometimes the ocean side can get challenging for light sailors if the wind builds. Otherwise there is plenty of land around so the waves don't build too bad. They have an age minimum (16 as I recall).

When I sailed it, I have to say, I was never so impressed with any club's hospitality, anywhere. The hosts really cared that everyone felt welcome. I always felt guilty because no way they made money off the modest entry fee with the spread they laid out for sailors afterwards. They handed out nice commemorative t-shirts for each year's event, and maybe still do.

If you happen to live in that part of the Sunfish world you are fortunate. There are strong clubs and lots of excellent sailors in the region, and if you get to events like Shelter Island, which attracts an interesting group, and ask around you can probably instigate some other adventures.

Last edited:
I am looking to trailer my Sunfish this year to different events whether regattas or events like this. Thanks for letting me know about it.

every other weekend I am at Jenkins Sound near cape may courthouse NJ, great place to sail as long as you are at least 4 hours on either side of high tide

Back