Rooster

roccaas

I see some of the lines (especially sheets) called "Roosters". Is this a brand name or another of the multiple names that sailors give to their equipment?

Rooster is a British company specializing in sailing gear. One of its products is a rope by the name of Polilite. The 7 mm version is pretty popular as a sheet for Sunfish. Pretty expensive though. See the www.APSLTD.com website for further info on Rooster and other ropes.

Rooster is a British company specializing in sailing gear. One of its products is a rope by the name of Polilite. The 7 mm version is pretty popular as a sheet for Sunfish.

-- mainly for racing. Be sure to read the information page on Polilite. ( http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=poly&Store_Code=1 ) Don't overlook the final paragraph and statements like,

– we recommend that you change the rope after 1 year of weekend use.

I'm not saying this is a negative only that if you are looking for something you'll get years of use from a little further reading in each of the rope seller's information pages is enlightening.

I've used the same set of Rooster sheets for over three years, 7mm for light air and 9mm for heavy air. I race a lot, almost every weekend in the summer and frostbiting in the winter. The sheets look like new. You won't find a line that lasts any longer.

My experiences are similar to Bill's. Still using a Rooster sheet that is now 6 years old. It gets less stiff with use and looks like new.

Bzzz is another (low-kink) rope that has become popular; it's made by New England Ropes. It's a little softer on the hands compared to the Rooster ropes (and less expensive).

Back