rivets?

captainJack987

How do I take out rivets on the boom and put new ones in, I got a new boom block and I dont know how to take the old ones off so I can put the knew ones on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

drill out the old ones and use a rivet gun for the new ones

see thread on installing a boom sleeve for info on the rivet gun. Most hardware store rivet guns have a statement on their package (in VERY small type) that says they are not for use with Stainless Steel rivets.

You might take the opportunity to through bolt the boom block (if it is the back one it is easy).

Mike

By "through bolt" he means drilling all the way through the boom and using screws of bolts that reach all the way through, and attaching a nut on the part of the screw of bolt that comes out the other side.

By "through bolt" he means drilling all the way through the boom and using screws of bolts that reach all the way through, and attaching a nut on the part of the screw of bolt that comes out the other side.

The real point of through-bolting is to make sure nothing comes loose, If you have noticed after awhile the end block on your boom will jiggle because of the loose rivets holding in the eye-strap. I tried to through-bolt mine with household stuff but it was IMPOSSIBLE!!! If you want to do it right go to apsltd.com, click on one design, laser, and mast or boom fittings, it should be there for only 10 dollars!

I drilled the rivets with a 1/8 bit and they wouldn't come out, any suggestions???

When drilling out rivets my rule of thumb is to get a drill bit just about the same size as the head of the rivet, your main goal is to drill the head off and punch the other part into the mast or boom! I think that Irwin has some drill bits speciffically for metal!

The rivets are 3/16" so use a sharp 3/16" bit to remove the head. If the rivet starts spinning while drilling, rock the bit at various angles which will apply enough side pressure on the rivet to keep it from spinning too much.

I got the rivets out thanks for the advice. When I was putting in the new rivets, I couldn't figure out how to get the excess off the rivet after it was fastened," the part sticking out of the rivet"

You haven't finished setting the rivet. Keep squeezing the handle of the rivet gun until it the excess piece pops out.

Back