Radial Foot Flap - any advice

glasky

I am an old Laser sailor exploring the possibilities of the radial rig to keep somewhat competitive at 65kg and under 6ft.

In flat water and gusty conditions maybe up to 16 kts I have experienced annoying and excessive 'motor boating' of the foot of the radial sail I have. this doesn't seem to affect speed appreciably compared to that of visiting and experienced Radial campaigners, but may be making me work harder than I need to in maxed out upwind conditions.

Easing the foot helps a bit to kill the noise and vibration, but I need to ease it way too far than expected to make much difference and gets to the point where I seem to be adding more fullness down low than in lighter conditions (and have to work even harder on trim). This may just be an illusion due to boom bend due to vang tension - not sure yet.

Does any body have any suggestions? Do I need to try 'power reaching' more to windward instead of the feathering regime necessary at my weight and stature with the full rig in gusty lake conditions that are well above above my 'design' breeze? - or is it something others have also experienced?

Don't want or expect to blame the equipment, but have not experienced this symptom with standard laser sails in any of the boats I have sailed since the 70's.

any advice appreciated

GL

Hi GL,

What you have encountered is nothing new.. about radial sail foot flapping against the boom. I have read advice from one of those Laser sailing books, it is suggested to let out the outhaul line till the noise stops.. But personally, I don't think it works for me.. cos under overpowering condition, everything gotta be tighten.

But such noise doesn't really bother me... I think it is due to the lower mast design for radial... if not wrong... SOMEONE CORRECT ME...

:)

Back