Q: Setting up at the dock

nesdog

Just picked up a Laser this week. Last time I owned one was in '83. I almost always set up on the shore/grass, etc. in those days. Quick and easy.

Our local launch ramp sits somewhat parallel to the wind. So when I set my catamaran, I afix it to the lee side and the boat streams out, bow mostly pointing at the dock. I can pre-set the sail to the boom and simply raise the sail on the water.

However with the Laser, I am not stepping the mast until the hull is launched. Kind of a pain to get in the boat when there is wind, grab the boom and sail and rig. Any ideas?

The boat has the upgraded outhaul, cunningham, vang kit. Rather than tying off, I'm thinking of adding a quick release hook to the line. Or somewhat considering rigging on the windward side of the dock, bow pointed to the favored side, giving me an easy reach from the platform to the stern. Down side to that could be the boat hard up against the bumpers.

This was a lot easier on the grass! Also any other quick releases that can be used with the cunningham? Is it bad form to set a hook to the sail rather than line through and around and down? I opt for simplicity and quick rigging. No, not planning on racing, just playing.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Have you considered doing all the rigging before launching ? In anything but an onshore wind, you can rig up everything, in an onshore wind, the only change is to just leave the mainsheet rigged between the front block on the boom and the ratchet so the boom can float out over the bow.. or is there some reason why you can't do the rigging prior to launching ?

IMHO, this is much easier then trying to rig up while on the water..

To answer your other questions -
No problem throwing just a hook in the cunningham, works fine..
Hook on the outhaul is the fastest method there, but make sure you won't have accidental disconnects...

Funny thing is that it never occured to me to complete most of the rigging prior to launch. I have this vision of the boat wanting to lift right off the trailer as I back down! Or being unwieldy, even though the boom may swing freely, there is still a bit of windage on the rig, which I notice with the Prindle; I drop the main and have a furling jib on there for ease. I guess I could even leave the mainsheet off until on the water.

One sticky issue might be dropping the mast to the step. Since the boat sits higher up on the trailer, I won't have quite as much leverage. This afternoon after work I'm planning on rigging the boat at home so I'll try your suggestion and see how everything feels.

Have you considered doing all the rigging before launching ? In anything but an onshore wind, you can rig up everything, in an onshore wind, the only change is to just leave the mainsheet rigged between the front block on the boom and the ratchet so the boom can float out over the bow.. or is there some reason why you can't do the rigging prior to launching ?

IMHO, this is much easier then trying to rig up while on the water..

To answer your other questions -
No problem throwing just a hook in the cunningham, works fine..
Hook on the outhaul is the fastest method there, but make sure you won't have accidental disconnects...

A dolly us such a great tool. It solves so many problems. As low as they sit steping the mast is no prob...and launching in and out is painless. I know they are pricey but if for some reason it just isn't working for you there are plenty of people that will take it off your hands. Good luck ,Eric

Good suggestions, thanks.

I came up with another one which might actually work, part of the time, at least. It occurs to me that there isn't always a bunch of people waiting to launch at our ramp. So I could get the boat into the water and simply tie off in the shallows near the entry. Pop in the mast from the dock but easily walk around to the stern in knee deep water to take care of the outhaul and the balance of the rigging. I'm planning on adding the outhaul hook as well so after a time, I'll probably get pretty quick on this task and the issue will go away.

Back