Putting together my idea of a Sunfish trailer

wardie

I thought I'd share with the members what I am trying out as a solution to not having a Sunfish trailer nor a dolly. I purchased online the 870 pound carrying capacity Harbor Freight trailer on sale and used a 25% coupon got it shipped for about $150.00. It has 8" wheels instead of 12" but a much smaller and lighter chassis. I also have a trailer dolly from Harbor Freight so I figured if I could modify this trailer to fit a Sunfish and keep it light enough I might be able to use as a dolly when I can't drive my car to the water.

Bolting the trailer together was straight forward. The tongue was about 4' long not nearly enough to mount a Sunfish and have it miss the car so a new tongue was needed. Instead of cutting the existing tongue and welding in a piece I was able to find a metal shop who had square tubing the same width as my tongue tubing. I measured the length of what I needed and had them cut to size. From there it was simple to transfer the tongue mounting holes to the new square tubing. I fitted everything together made sure all was in alignment then unbolted and placed on horses so I could thoroughly clean and paint. A friend who lives in farming country told me to go to Tractor Supply and pick up Agriculture Implement paint. For those who are not in the 4H, implements are what farmers bolt to their PTO's etc. that do the dirty work like tilling.

After cleaning I stirred the primer and over two days laid two coats of the rust preventive sand able primer on the tubing. I'm now on my second series of three day painting with the Gloss Black Implement paint. The tongue will be black and the trailer frame red. If you know anything about HF trailers left out in the sun after two years they turn pink :( so eventually the trailer will be painted black.
I will post up pictures of the completed trailer. Several other tips are; purchasing rubber grommets for insertion into trailer holes where the wiring will be run through. This eliminates chafing of the wires. I purchased bulk 4 wire trailer wire so I could solder onto the existing trailer 4 way wire harness. I am running the wiring down through the square tubing and will "Y" out just aft the end of the tubing. I am using the stock stop lights which use 1157 bulbs but will eventually upgrade to led lights. Brighter and use less power.

I was able to solve one other problem and that is the bunks. I found an online company called E-Trailers where for about 7 bucks you could purchase vertical slotted bases that had swivel plates on them making it very easy to mount the wood bunks. I am hopeful the entire set up will weigh little and I can use my dolly should I need to put her in the water off a bank or something instead of boat ramp. The only other modification is the purchase of quality stainless steel bolts for the tongue and ball clamp piece.

Will be completed next week and will post photos! I think I will have about $230 in a very nice, very useable Sunfish trailer when I'm through. Wardie

Reactions: tag
I purchased the same trailer when it went on sale for $140. Two years later it still sits in the box. I will be anxious to see the photos as I was going to do the same thing. Might give me that incentive. Interestingly the State of RI decided that my $140 purchase is actually worth $600 when they excise tax me on it every year.

I will be finishing it up tomorrow night and will try and post pictures. I think everyone's going to like it. Just the right size and very light and easy to move around.

here's the pics. Use small drill press to drill mounting holes in tongue. Replaced china hardware with hardware quality Stainless Steel bolts and nuts. Soldered all connections and shrink tubing finished it up. All that is left is mount the stainless bunk holders and bunks and she's done.

drilling tongue to mount to trailer.jpg Mounting tongue to trailer frame.jpg Sunfish Trailer.jpg drilling tongue to mount to trailer.jpg Sunfish Trailer complete minus wiring.jpg

Back