Sunfish1909
I have noticed one of my rivets has pulled out enough to begin a crack
at its hole :confused: . It is the second rivet going from the center of the
coaming to the portside. I noticed this as I could see some daylight
while I was passing my shop light nearby. I was planning on repainting
my coaming one season. I am looking at this situation as a structural
fix and yes it probably is time to repaint. Should I drill out all
thirteen rivets and completely remove the coaming to spray paint or
brush paint all surfaces? I do not have an inspection port yet either :( .
If I can exopy the wounded hole shut and then drill through the patch,
will a new rivet bring the coaming back to the deck? Can I tape off the
coaming and mask off my top deck to spray paint the coaming to update
the color and hide scratches without removing it. I feel removing the
coaming is the right thing to do. Is there a good wearing spray paint
(red) that will take the uv and water exposure? Do I need to purchase a
quart of a marine paint just for the coaming? Would one of those
industrial Krylon spray paints be worthy of a dingy finish?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :)

Remove the coaming get one of these http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-2629693201167_1918_140087790
ream out the holes (don't go thru) fill with resin-epoxy glass bubble- high density filler re drill install.
As to the paint. If you live near a boat yard that does topside resprays find a boat that is getting painted flag blue and talk to the painter. The boot stripe is most likely going to be a red. They might shoot it for a 6 pack.
Krylon will cover for a while but it wont hold up. Or watch Ebay they pop up. hope this helps

Hi guys,

I'm also thinking of repainting my coaming. I plan on restoring and Awlgripping a hull this summer. If I use Awlgrip on the coaming do I have to sand it , prime it, sand it again and then apply the awlgrip topcoat as I would on a hull? It's a coaming from the 70's so it's made of fiberglass, not plastic like the new ones. Any help is much appreciated.

Yes you need to sand and prime. If you don't the nice glossy grip will come off in nice glossy flakes. And remember paint wont hide anything. If you can see a scratch the nice new paint is going to make it look bigger. Sand the primer to 320 if using a machine 400-500 if sanding by hand. Hope this helps

Thank you for the discussion on priming the fiberglass coaming. I have a quart of Interlux Brightside, for my finish color, coming to me from eBay. Is there a particular primer to use or can I use a sandable automotive primer?

I just did visit the website after I read your post. I do not want to ruin the reputation of some of us "guys" so I better read the directions :rolleyes: . I was planning to read the can label upon it's arrival. The website is great and real iformation with time listings if you were to have several "paint days" working on a larger boat. Thank you for the heads up :) .

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp

Back