Open question......

Okay I just had a thought..........This is prompted by a comment on Scuttlebutt about a Laser costing into the $8000's

New Laser....$5110.00
New Sunfish....$3695.00
$1415.00 difference???????
Prices are base prices from Laser Perf website.

Made by the same people (laser perf)
In the same state (RI)
From the same materials (Non-exotic Figerglass).
Sails both by North
Almost same amount of Fiberglass/resins/gelcoats in both...Hull Weights Sunfish 120lbs, Laser 130 lbs

I started sailing Lasers in 1989 and my new boat cost $2200 with hull covers. I quit in the 1990's when the class became an Olympic boat. I have not been back until recently. I am kinda shocked how up in price the new boats are and then how much a used boat goes for.

Just a thought to ponder now discuss.......

Laser is geared more towards the competitive racer where the Sunfish is aimed at recreational sailors (not to say there isn't some crossover). Which of those groups do you think would be willing to pay more for a boat?

I own both boats and there are several other factors. The Laser deck is cored which raises the cost quite a bit. Sunfish uses cheap plastic rudder fittings where Laser uses an aluminum head. Sunfish has only two tiny blocks on the boom. The model you quote doesn't even have a rachet block for the mainsheet, a hiking strap, a boom vang, adjustable outhaul, cunning ham and its not a racing sail with window. The difference between race & basic Sunfish is $430 where the difference in the laser is $235.

This is what we pay in Holland (1 Euro = 1.4 dollar)

Euro Dollar
laser 5620 7868
laserXD6160 8624

In my opinion the boats are expensive because we want to buy them and the builder wants to make money. If they would "give it away" for lets say 2250 dollar (material cost + wages), then they would sell much more boats but still not earn a penny.

:rolleyes:

Back