New to Laser, couple of questions

drjay44

Hi. I am new to Laser. grew up with Sunfish. Recently sailed a Laser, night and day!

I have no interest in racing. Just a day on the lake.

A couple of questions if I may

1. Laser site shows optimal weight for crew. At 250 pounds I am way over. if not racing does it really matter?i had no issues in the Sunfish. As I only wish to deal with one sail i imagine Laser is my best bet?

2. Considering new Laser. Is the MSRP negotiable or is it pretty standard in the sailing world to pay MSRP? Don't want to look like a jerk at the dealership.

3. I will be transporting to a large lake about 40 miles from my home. Laser site says it an be car topped. Is this realistic or should I buy a trailer for the Laser?

4. Lastly, what to look for if I go used? How do I know if the sailis still sound, not "blown out" etc.?

I am in Florida near Ocala if anybody has a previously enjoyed Laser.

Thanks for the help.

If you are not planning on racing, save yourself money, get a used one, check the hull make sure it looks in good shape, put it in the water and make sure it does not take on water, make sure there are no soft spots, then if you are in doubt buy a brand new sail from Intensity sails for under $140. You will save thousands buying a used one that will probably be fine for you. I weigh right at the 250lbs mark and it does fine with me, not great for racing in light wind but in heavy wind the weight is not bad... I would deffinitly look into a trailer

I question the 250lb as optimum weight. I would say more like 175 on a standard rig laser. If your not going to race buy a used boat you will save a ton of money and the fun factor will not change.

I question the 250lb as optimum weight. I would say more like 175 on a standard rig laser. If your not going to race buy a used boat you will save a ton of money and the fun factor will not change.
Sorry I was saying at 250 pounds I am not optimal weight .

A couple of questions if I may

1. Laser site shows optimal weight for crew. At 250 pounds I am way over. if not racing does it really matter?i had no issues in the Sunfish. As I only wish to deal with one sail i imagine Laser is my best bet?

2. Considering new Laser. Is the MSRP negotiable or is it pretty standard in the sailing world to pay MSRP? Don't want to look like a jerk at the dealership.

3. I will be transporting to a large lake about 40 miles from my home. Laser site says it an be car topped. Is this realistic or should I buy a trailer for the Laser?

4. Lastly, what to look for if I go used? How do I know if the sailis still sound, not "blown out" etc.?

I am in Florida near Ocala if anybody has a previously enjoyed Laser.

Thanks for the help.

ad 1: There are other one-sail boats out there, but the Laser and the Sunfish are the most popular, by far.

ad 2: Price of new boats is somewhat negotiable, but I second the idea that you buy a used one. They are readily available, just check the For Sale section on this Forum

ad 3: A Laser can definitely be car-topped. If it is just a one-time trip to the lake, a trailer is not needed. You could also consider renting a flat back trailer

ad 4: Find somebody that 'knows' Lasers and read this Forum. This issue has been addressed multiple times

Back