New China Built Sunfish

Alan S. Glos

OK, it's almost October. Are there any China built Sunfish hulls in the US? Has anybody seen or sailed one?
What do people think of them?

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Has anybody seen or sailed one?

APS is still showing out of stock for Sunfish (and Lasers for that matter.) Laser Performance is a mis-named company. Should be Laser Disfunction.

There was an article on sunfishclass.org a while back showing Paul Jon Patin sailing a China built Sunfish in China, so they have made some. I guess if Laser Disfunction cannot manage to import Lasers from the UK where they are making them now, they may never be able to actually get the Chinese Sunfish to the US!

Also interesting that Sunfish Direct will sell you a new boat with a knock-off sail, I assume at a discount (note a bunch of the sails do not have a fish on them.) Laser Disfunction must love that!!!!

That phone number is disconnected. Didn't try the fax. I read the whole Rhode Island operation is closed and they have moved out of state.

Now that the sailing season is over, LaserPerformance posted on Facebook that they have Chinese made Sunfish ready to ship to the US. They are the white boats with red or blue trim - no stripes - that are offered on the Sunfish Direct site.

Bruce Kirby Filed suit against them in March of 2013 claiming they stiffed him on royalty payments in connection with the Laser
That suit has been decided; Kirby lost. Basically, the judge decided that Kirby had no standing because he had sold his rights to Global Sailing.

Last edited:

Back