multi-boat trailers

capt_capsize

My family is planning some driving vacations this year that center around small-boat and windsurfer sailing (yeaaa!). We need a way to tow our growing fleet, which includes one laser, one much-abused Zuma, and at least two (or more) sailboards. Of course, this mess also includes various masts, booms, sails, etc.

We are considering have Seitech build us a big contraption to fit on a standard steel fishing-boat trailer. However, this thing would be heavy (more gas consumption) and unweildy. We are also looking at the Trailex aluminum trailers which seem to be favored by lots of laser sailors.

I'd love to hear from anyone using either system - or others.
:cool:

Trailex

Sure do wish I could say that I had the problem of too many boats! :)

I just picked-up a used Trailex (single) recently...I love it! If the quality on their multiple boat trailers matches that of the singles...I'd reccommend them in a heartbeat.

They're super light, they tow fantastic & seem to be as sturdy as any trailer I've ever used.

My experience with them is limited, but as of right now....I've been nothing but impressed with it.

Mick

if you have a welderand some rudimentary design or engineering experience you could build a multi-boat trailer for a fraction of the cost of having Seitech building one for you
my friend and i built a trailer for a larger boat and it works pretty good
oh well...
just a suggestion anyways

When my Laser Racing team travels to events we have a system that can carry five Lasers...or one chase boat and four Lasers. Our chase boat is a 13ft Boston Whaler and we mount a Seitech rack onto the the Whaler trailer (before the Whaler is on its trailer ) using "U" bolts. We then load the Whaler and put two Lasers on seperate "levels" directly above the Whaler. We then put two more Lasers lashed to the sides of the rig because at the base of the Seitech rack the two cross bars extend out about another 6 or 8 inches . The rig is simple to attach, detach and load using nothing more than a wrench and a few pairs of hands to help lift the boats. But best of all, I think, is that when we aren't using the rack on the trailer, we store our 5 Lasers on it anyways. I've seen people try to make their own racks out of wood or what not but they seem to be heavy and quite a hassle.

This system would work too if you mounted the rack onto your Laser trailer so you could carry multiple boats at once, store them all together, or just take the Laser out on its trailer whenever you want.

Back