Main sheet block

Webfoot

Anyone use a extra pulley on the boom and double mainsheet block to get some mechanical advantage. Kinda tough on the arm and teeth on windy days holding the sheet. Gusting nature of small lake does not allow for a jam cleat or I'll go over.

I sometimes tie on a Beckett block with longer mainsheet for (I hate to say it) youngsters. That and a ratchet block on the deck.

Attachments

• Becket.jpg
    Becket.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 66
The problem with increased purchase is increased mainsheet length. On your gusty lake the release will still be fairly quick, but when you go to sheet in it will take slightly longer. Time to increase the spinach consumption.

The problem with increased purchase is increased mainsheet length. On your gusty lake the release will still be fairly quick, but when you go to sheet in it will take slightly longer. Time to increase the spinach consumption.
Sheeting in from a run has more line to deal with, but you've decreased the effort by 50%

My 8 - 12 yr old students can do it.

Quick little buggers, they are.

The problem I see most often with this setup is fouling the tiller in low wind. It's reserved for stiff breeze days.

Ordered another boom block and strap so I get to fool around a bit. I'll let you know if I end up swimming more than sailing.;)

Back