Light wind sailing

minifish

I, and apparently a few other sailors, made the mistake of thinking that if there's a little wind in the neighborhood, there will be more on the lake.

It was actually the reverse.

It took me 3 hours to leave the marina, make a small loop by the tires, and come back. I felt sorry for a few of the heavier boats. Some people had their light wind sails and were doing okay, but others were really struggling...some giving up and motoring in.
I decided to head back and when I got about 100 ft from shore, suddenly there was a wind and I actually had to turn it into the wind to slow it down.
When I got home, the weather said the wind was "at times up to 5 mph". That's not what it said when I left. :eek:

Today the wind seems better *crosses fingers*.

I guess it was a good training exercise. It really made me hunt for efficiency.

Can't think of anything better for light winds except a Catamaran. Steady 10 mph winds will give you a relaxing sail. Next time, observe the cloud cover or lack of it, I'll bet you had a Sunny day with little or no clouds. :cool: Weather can be very localized, even more so since weather data is taken from reporting stations. Time to develop the ole "weather eye."

Can't think of anything better for light winds except a Catamaran. Steady 10 mph winds will give you a relaxing sail. Next time, observe the cloud cover or lack of it, I'll bet you had a Sunny day with little or no clouds. :cool: Weather can be very localized, even more so since weather data is taken from reporting stations. Time to develop the ole "weather eye."

Unfortunately, I live in an area of the US where the weather changes every 10 minutes, lol!

Had some great winds yesterday to make up for it.

Where are you located, I live on a lake in south carolina. the last two weeks have been the best wind of the year, between storms.

Back