Laser Transport

Redhawk

Hi all, I'm new to the forum (& lasers) & I'm in desperate need of advise. I have just acquired 2 lasers for my kids (with 2 standard rigs & 1 4.7 rig, still looking for a radial rig). I am busy adapting an existing trailer to take the 2 lasers as well as our 4 Sea Kayaks & 2 roof top tents on top. The big question is what will be better, to support the Lasers on 2 or 3 cross members like a roof rack or with 2 supports running along the length of the boats. The design is a simple rack with the 2 lasers stacked (individually) on the bottom, the 4 kayaks on a single layer above them & the roof tents on the top rack.

Can anyone also give me the depth of a laser hull as I have been unable to collect the boats.

Thanks

What kind of car do you have? With our E-150, we can fit our 3 sea kayaks inside, along with all the camping stuff you would need. Then, we just tow the laser ( or lasers) behind on a sea lion trailer that we made a simple bunk for. Just some 2x4's screwed to the original bunks. I'll snap a picture later.

You could also put 2 kayaks on top of your car, and the other 2 on the trailer. Then just throw the camping stuff in the car.

Feel free to PM me if you have any problems.
Nick

Hi, the kayaks are already on the trailer, as are the tents (they just fold out complete with double matresses) which are permanently mounted. I tow with a Land Rover Discovery & prefer to carry the majority of the load on the trailer especially when out for week long expeditions, Trailer capacity is not a problem. The brands you mention are unfamiliar to me as I'm based in Johannesburg, South Africa!

Oh ok. Reread your post and now I see... It would be better to have 2 or 3 crossbeams for the lasers. It gives you something to tie off on, and alot better support.

From what you have said it would appear that the best way to transport the boats is inverted! Back to my original posting will a support running down the length of the boat (midway between the gunwale & cockpit) on each side not give adequate support, as this would make loading / unloading easier as the boats can slide more easily when loading like cassettes from the rear especially when the kids are helping (kids are 10 & 13 but built more like average 14 & 18 year olds).

a 13 year old built like a 18 year old? :eek:

But yeah, inverted works well too. Quite a few people have that set up in my area. Kind of like a triangle, and the boats get strapped down. The spars etc then go inside the triangle.

My daughter is 5'5" 150 pounds, my son is 5' & 130 pounds. I'm completely new to dinghy sailing having sailed keel boats before. The kids tried out sailing on some Optimists with friends & enjoyed it although they were a little large in the Oppies. I even tried the Oppies (funny sight, I'm 6'4" 300 pounds) in a moderate breeze & then decided that dinghys are great & after much research decided on the Lasers as the way forward. Thanks for the advice.

My daughter is 5'5" 150 pounds, my son is 5' & 130 pounds. I'm completely new to dinghy sailing having sailed keel boats before. The kids tried out sailing on some Optimists with friends & enjoyed it although they were a little large in the Oppies. I even tried the Oppies (funny sight, I'm 6'4" 300 pounds) in a moderate breeze & then decided that dinghys are great & after much research decided on the Lasers as the way forward. Thanks for the advice.

Ever sail a star? ha ha perfect crew!

Hi all, I'm new to the forum (& lasers) & I'm in desperate need of advise. I have just acquired 2 lasers for my kids (with 2 standard rigs & 1 4.7 rig, still looking for a radial rig). I am busy adapting an existing trailer to take the 2 lasers as well as our 4 Sea Kayaks & 2 roof top tents on top. The big question is what will be better, to support the Lasers on 2 or 3 cross members like a roof rack or with 2 supports running along the length of the boats. The design is a simple rack with the 2 lasers stacked (individually) on the bottom, the 4 kayaks on a single layer above them & the roof tents on the top rack.

Can anyone also give me the depth of a laser hull as I have been unable to collect the boats.

Thanks

Hi Redhawk,
welcome to TLF and have fun here and also: Happy Easter.

To find a solution for your questions yourself, I give you a website of our Laserdealer with interesting combi-road-trailers. Please look "Here"
Scroll down that side. The multi road trailer in yellow colour is something you want to have. You only need one more level, to get also the 4 kajaks onto that trailer.
I am sure, at Johannesburg you find a body-maker, that is able to copy that simple construction cheap for you.

P.S.: I have a cousin that lives at "0850 Tzaneen", that is somewhere around Johannesburg.
P.P.S.: A Star-boat is a famous olympic sailing class snice many many decades. She's a keelboat for two sailors. The design is very old, but it is really a lot of fun to sail her. They are horrible much more expensive, compared to the Laser. Here is the homepage of their international Class association: http://www.starclass.org/

Ciao
LooserLu

Thanks, actually Tzaneen is about 280 miles from Johannesburg, I used to live close to Tzaneen, very beautiful. I will look at the link.

Ideally, you want to support the boat where it is the strongest - at a point where the deck are connected together.

For lengthwise bunks (fore and aft), the outside edge of the boat is a strong point, as well as the edges of the cockpit. For crosswise bunks (side to side), the mast step and the rear edge of the cockpit are the strong points (the transom is another strong point, but I think that is too far back for what you want to do.)

I suggest crosswise bunks - you can slide the boat back and use the rear bunk as a pivot point for loading/unloading.

Scott

5' is a good width, 4'6" is ok, and 18-19" gap between horizontals. I'd go deck down. A pad at the mast pocket, and two pads on the stern bar, that align with the hull/deck joint, roughly at the back of the cockpit.

The deck is not actually flat. So, if you are welding a custom job, you can make a V that sags about 2" over the 5' width. This will conform closer to the deck contour. But you still need the net 18-19" from the higher sides to the middle of the bottom of the V.

Sounds like you are going to have a great time!

Al

Thanks for the input, I will be making a custom welded frame so I guess I should just make a plan to get the boats home then custom form the supports on the boats before adding them to the basic frame. Everyones assistance & input has been great, I'm sure we will have some great fun.

Back