Introduction, Sonoma County

pbridge

Greetings,

We are the new owners of a second generation Capri 14. I paid a near giveaway price for the boat with trailer and I'm pretty confident my investment will be rapidly adjusting upward. Please be patient with my terminology. I'm learning.

The good news is that the fiberglass appears to be in very good condition, no sunburn and virtually zero crazing. The sails look very clean and fresh. More on that later.

I did a dry run yesterday for the first time, learning to rig the mast. The shrouds are ratty. I don't think they're on the verge of failure but they are now on the replacement list. If anybody wants to offer tips for DIY standing rigging, they would be welcome.

Attached to the front of the mast, where I think the forestay belongs, is a short piece of cable maybe 18 or 24" long, with an eye on each end, and poorly knotted to that is a piece of nylon line. I think somebody had cobbled together a forestay. (Faux-stay?)

The jib is a mystery to me. What's the correct name for the clips on the jib that slide up the forestay? It's got none of those. What it does seem to have is steel cable sewn into the leading edge of the jib. Is that the forestay, hidden in the jib? (I'm hoping I do not find out that the sails that came with the boat are somehow wrong.)

Anyway, more later. Thanks for any help you all may offer. Be gentle.

Peter
Sebastopol CA USA

I hope somebody recognizes what you're describing quicker than I.
The forestay clips on the jib are commonly referred to as "hanks". They can be plastic hooks, metal shackles, or in my case snapped webbing loops.

Odds are pretty good that my boat is older than yours, so I expect differences. I am also running after-market sails.
I vaguely recall the OE jib that came with my boat may have had a cable like you describe and that the halyard attached to the cable.
I have a cable forestay the jib hanks onto and a halyard.
Do you have a jib halyard? Do you have a separate cable forestay? Do you have a roller-furler? Is the nylon line long enough to reach the bow to support the mast while rigging?

Assuming you do not have a separate cable forestay and do have a halyard, I would assume the nylon line supports the mast while rigging, then the halyard/jib cable takes over for sailing. The cable in the jib ought to be plenty strong to sail without a separate forestay.

We'll see what other people say. And it might help if you were to post some pictures.

Cheers and good luck, Karl

I hope somebody recognizes what you're describing quicker than I.
The forestay clips on the jib are commonly referred to as "hanks". They can be plastic hooks, metal shackles, or in my case snapped webbing loops.

Odds are pretty good that my boat is older than yours, so I expect differences. I am also running after-market sails.
I vaguely recall the OE jib that came with my boat may have had a cable like you describe and that the halyard attached to the cable.
I have a cable forestay the jib hanks onto and a halyard.
Do you have a jib halyard? Do you have a separate cable forestay? Do you have a roller-furler? Is the nylon line long enough to reach the bow to support the mast while rigging?

Assuming you do not have a separate cable forestay and do have a halyard, I would assume the nylon line supports the mast while rigging, then the halyard/jib cable takes over for sailing. The cable in the jib ought to be plenty strong to sail without a separate forestay.

We'll see what other people say. And it might help if you were to post some pictures.

Cheers and good luck, Karl
Karl thanks very much for your response. Your questions are waking me up to the specifics I need to consider. I'm on the road for a couple of days and I will respond to your questions this weekend. I really appreciate your help.

Peter

Back