hull repairs

captainJack987

I have a 81 laser i recently purchased and it has a few small cracks about the size of a quarter right infront of the dagerboard slot on the bottom of the boat, there are also other little cracks. I know gelcoat will reapair them but, since it doesnt cure in the pressence of oxygen. How do I apply it, or what will fix the cracks in the gelcoat?

Gelcoat will cure in the presence of oxygen... just it doesnt use oxygen as a catalyst for the curing process. If you use simple gelcoat, like stuff found at West Marine, it comes with the curing agent... commonly known as MEK. Just use the mixing instructions that came with the gelcoat... the usual ration is about 50 parts gelcoat to 1 part hardener.

Also, make sure you chip off the cracked pieces of gelcoat. If you leave then untouched the new gelcoat will just come off when you sand it down. Take a file and grind out the cracked gelcoat down to the fiberglass and then apply the new stuff.

Once all is said and done, wetsand slowly... if you take your time you will get a really, really nice finish.

I do this at least once a year to my boat... perhaps I would ahve to do it less if there wern't so many "bad port/starboard crossings!!!!":D

Back