How to change bridle?

wardie

My sunfish has a three loop bridle that is circa 1972. I have an inspection port at the rear but it doesn't allow access to blocks where bridle cable is held in place by metal u shaped holders. Ok so I don't know the lingo but I'm pretty sure you guys have changed cables/bridles before how can I replace the cable without losing the mounting blocks? Wardie

I had this issue in the midst of sailing; one side came loose then the other pulled out. I used the inspection port i had on the deck at the rear of the cockpit and I cut a hole through the foam blocks on either side just large enough to slide my hand through then replaced the screws and placed a large washer on the bottom side. I'm sure there are other ways to do it; however, this was my experience.

Hope this helps,
Garrett

Or... just cut the wire traveler bridle off and replace it with a low stretch rope one that you can tie on. Also, this way you can have two traveler set ups.

First, you have a "3 loop" one for when the wind is light and you want to be able to pull the boom more towards the center line.

Second, you have a traveler line with no loop with a pulley on it instead that the boom end of the mainsheet goes through for stronger winds when you want to use the mainsheet to flatten the sail by pulling the boom down to the leeward corner of the traveler line.

- Andy

Or you unscrew the eyestrap on each side (take one screw all the way out, unscrew the other only far enough to get the bridle off - do this so if the backing block is loose it will not fall into the hull of the boat), take off the old bride, put the new one one, and screw it back in place. Use silicone on each screw. It is about a 5 minute job.

Back