how does the rudder pop out??

73sunfish

I have a 1970 sunfish with the ol skool rudder assembly. I've heard that it pops out in certain situations.

Where exactly does it pop out at?

Does it pop out as if I had unscrewed the butterfly nut I unscrew before beaching?

How can I avoid this?

Impossible to say as there are too many variables. If it is in good condition, you have minimal weather helm and a rec sail, maybe never. I've sailed all summer and mine has never let go, even after I flipped the boat. If you're using a racing sail and dragging some weather helm, you're putting more stress on it than it was originally intended to handle. Remember, it was designed before the original recreational sail was given more draft.

It pops out over time because the brass on both sides of the fence - so to speak - gets worn out from use and stops staying securely in place.

The brass chunk on the blade, whatever it is called, gets worn at the end over time, and the brass part on the boat itself, call it the pocket, gets worn out as well. You can tighten the screw mechanism on top of the deck, but that will or will not help - depending on how worn out these afore mentioned parts are.

As for how to tell it is worn out, it'll start sloshing around in that "pocket" when it starts to go - read it will no longer be a crisp, tight connection in that pocket.

I sailed a 'fish with the old rudder for many years. I had almost no rudder pop-outs when sailing on a reservoir but when I went to the ocean (a harbor actually) with waves and good wind the rudder would pop out so much I couldn't sail. As stated above, I believe the brass was worn and the greater sideway forces on the rudder caused the pop-outs. I absolutely had to get a boat with the new rudder to keep sailing in the "ocean" waters.

Also, make sure the plastic tube on the long vertical screw is still in place. I believe the tube helped reduce the sideway movement of the rudder by holding the screw in the indentation on the stern.

Fred

Back