Holt vs. Harken vangs

macwas16

I was just wondering, what is the difference between the Harken and Holt 15:1 Vangs "new rigging" besides 20 Dollars??

They are largely the same thing. I haven't heard any compelling argument for choosing one over the other.

You can make a decent vang out the old version with additional blocks, but the new ones do work better on all counts, especially ease of (un)cleating, though many thing 15:1 is too much purchase.

I haven't seen many holt vangs, (only 2) but I think they are the same. The overwhelming majority in my area is the Harken one, though nobody really can explain why, I think its just brand recognition.

Kevin

Originally posted by 116794
I haven't seen many holt vangs, (only 2) but I think they are the same. The overwhelming majority in my area is the Harken one, though nobody really can explain why, I think its just brand recognition.

Kevin

I think it's mostly because Harken is the official supplier for the US/NA builder (Vanguard) and that's what comes with new boats. Plus I think you'll find the Harken in stock at a lot more places than the Holt here in NA. Plus it's cheaper.

Go to UK/Europe where Performance Sailcraft is the builder and Holt is the supplier and you'll see the Holt everywhere.

Shevy has a indepth comparison of the two that explains what's different (besides the price)

In the end though, they both work well, I have sailed with both and I really didn't notice any difference

Shevy's review at drLaser

Back