Holt Vang rigging

MrBill

I recently purchased a Holt vang. It comes with all the lines, but you have to rig them. The line to the block on the boom is readily splice-able, but the line you pull on is very stiff and does not appear to be splice-able. Because it is so stiff just tying a knot to attach it to the block results in a very bulky and not very secure knot.

What have others done when purchasing a Holt vang setup? Is there a way to splice the line? Is there a recommended knot? Should I purchase another more splice-able line?

Mr. Bill, I never used the stock lines that came with my vang cunningham or outhaul, but this still applies. I tie a very small bowline or a one-design knot, which is an overhand knot as a stopper, then an overhand to secure it. Its very low profile and leaves ample room to crank on the vang. If youre worried about bottoming out the system, shorten the cascade - the 3:1 part - having the 5:1 block come up to the very end of the cascade. This gives you the most "play" in your system. I generally have that block act as a stopper to my max downwind setting! Just a possibility, hope this helps!!!

Back