Halyard Lube ?

H2OLOO

I have to raise my sail after I paddle out in water and it is very difficult. Is there some kind of lube to put on the halyard so the sail will go up a little easier. I do lift the goose neck. Thanks John

Laser sailors use (McLube) Sailkote (a dry lubricant) to make the outhaul strap (or line) slide easier along the boom. You can give that a try, but only spray the area that runs through the fairlead.

You can also consider a slightly thicker halyard and using 'grippy' gloves. Do pull the halyard straight down with the mast fairlead in the optimum position. I guess you may have to stand (perhaps with one foot only) on the deck in your particular scenario. Also make sure there's no crud in the fairlead.

I can't raise my sail on shore in some places I launch the boat either. I don't try to pull the halyard through the deck fairlead. I kneel on the deck to raise the sail. Having a mast cleat really helps. I run the halyard through the deck fairlead, over the gooseneck back through the fairlead then cleat it off on the deck. Sort of a boom vang, but it will keep the sail attached to the boat in the event of a knockdown.

What material is your halyard made out of? Some lines pull harder than others, wish I could tell you which ones. I tried an old spinnaker sheet I had, water resistant, floated, has a great grab on the hands. It was exceedingly difficult as a halyard. I have raised on the water laying down. I have a cleat on the mast, made all the difference for me, I could pull some and keep it pinched off at the cleat, then pull some more. I tie mine at the cleat and then go thru the eye and around the gooseneck, then back thru the eye to the cleat on the deck. This adds the vang and attaches the mast to the hull. Hope that helps, best Win ever.

Thanks for all the come backs. Yesterday I looked at the mast top cap and it is worn so I will replace it. Also I sprayed the halyard with water and it seemed to help. I will consider a cleat on the mast. From now on I will tie a vang to keep lower boom down after tipping. Had a little problem with sail moving up on mast after tipping and I had trouble turning boat over. I am learning. Thanks John

John, you're ahead of me, haven't tipped mine over.....yet. Waiting for the water to warm up some. Not all that sure how difficult re-entering the cockpit is going to be, LOL.

Best, Win ever.

John, you're ahead of me, haven't tipped mine over.....yet. Waiting for the water to warm up some. Not all that sure how difficult re-entering the cockpit is going to be, LOL.

Best, Win ever.

I wish I could choose when I tip over! I never do it on purpose. :)

cheers,
tag

Back