Getting started advice

Sailkb

I am looking for general advice/comments on my newly acquired Sunfish. My 21 yr old son ran across this boat and purchased for $150. (including trailer) as a Christmas present. I am an avid outdoorsman, but never sailed. My son knows me well and knew I would get excited about learning another sport. But, before I get too pumped about this, I want to make sure this boat has a chance to sail. I have done some research and it figures to be a late 60’s boat. Not sailed much, but has been stored OUTSIDE with no cover for the past 5 years or so. With some heavy duty cleaner and power sprayer, the boat actually cleaned up very nice (see pics). Dagger board and rudder (wooden) seem in good shape (been stored inside, as with the sail). I am concerned about water logging. I dumped about two gallons of rusty water out of the hull and the styrofoam feels damp, however seems to be solid not loose. I tried my best to weigh the boat and came up with 150 pounds. I need advice on what to do next. After some reading, I did learn to install an additional inspection port and have been running a fan through the hull. The foam seems to be drying out but I have not weighed again. I imagine it has some leaks. I am curious if this boat is feasible for recreational sailing. What do I need to be thinking about so that I am not disappointed come May when I try my first trip out. Or should I unload this one to someone who can restore and look for newer boat? I have a lot to learn but am rearing to go!

Attachments

• Sailboat-1.jpg
    Sailboat-1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Sailboat-2.jpg
    Sailboat-2.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Sailboat.jpg
    Sailboat.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 58
that is a nice deal!

if you already have an inspection port put in, and a fan to keep it dry - the boat will work fine for recreational sailing, even if it does have some slow leaks. if it takes on some water - empty it out, and use the fan to dry it back out again. you'll ultimately want to get it sealed up and fixed, but it shouldn't keep you from enjoying some sailing on the boat!

cheers,
tag

Thanks. Your comments are encouraging. I will try the leak test.

One other quick question, is it wise to attend a class or lesson on sailing, or can I learn this, recreationally, from a 'textbook'? And do you have recommendations for reading? I am experienced on water (skiing) but never sailed. Don't even know most of the termonology. Thanks again.

the Sunfish is relatively easy to handle on the water - once the sail is raised at shore, you only have to worry about the tiller (to steer) and the mainsheet (line to adjust sail trim). a sailing class might help with practical experience, or maybe just sailing with a friend who knows what they are doing would work just as well. I haven't had any lessons/training/etc - I can manage, but still feel I could learn to read the direction the wind is coming from better. I can usually get around the lake alright, though.

this pamphlet - "Learn to Sail in 3 Days" (.pdf file) is a really quick and easy read that is quite helpful.

cheers,
tag

Is the sail blue and white also? Looks good. By the way, you will be taught how to sail by sailing this boat. Of course, good to get the basics, and I like the idea of getting a friend to show you some things.

Sail is blue an red so it should look good. I have no info on the history of the sail. Seems in good shape. I have read several articles but most helpful has been a book called "Let's go Sailing" by Peter Isler. Title sounds a little elementary, but really has explained the basics well. I feel like I could do fine in light wind first time out. But we'll see.

Excellent deal - and the deck looks in really good shape to boot.

Keep in mind that there is literally an open hole in the well - a large pinhole - that serves to release hot air from inside the hull during really hot days. After all these years, that could be a source of at least some of the water.

Interested in hearing what pans out from the leak test - note that all it takes is 3-4 pumps on the bicycle pump to make it all happen. Also, it can take as long as 5-10 minutes for the bubbles to form....

I wondered what the 'pin hole' was for. Good to know. We have fridig weather right now in Kansas so I may not get to the leak test for a few more weeks. I will report back though cause I will be interested in advice if I find issues.

I liked that "Let's Go Sailing" book by Peter Isler, too. it was a bummer that the Sunfish on the cover was about the only picture of a Sunfish in the book, though!

cheers,
tag

Back