Differences Radial vs Full

nesdog

I know the different sizes. What I want to understand as I look at buying a boat is what it would take to convert a radial to a full, in case I find one that way.

Which parts are interchangeable between the two rigs?

Thanks

Everything is interchangable, the only different parts are the sail (obviously) and the bottom mast section. Everything else is identical.

Thanks...that what I figured. So at list prices, roughly $800 to convert. I've seen a few radials around lately but prefer the full rig. So I'd have to buy the boat pretty well to make this worthwhile.

Yeah, but keep in mind that just as you can find used boats, you can find used parts.

Mast section's a little rare, since folks seldom have occassion to sell one of those. But it's pretty easy to find used sails that have just been used to sail a couple championship regattas; and these tend to be about two hundred bucks. Such sails would typically have less wear than the sail that would come on the used boat you bought.

Still, if you're a big dude, and have no use whatever for the radial rig, probably confine your search to full rig boats.

Back