Complete beginner, wondering what an good low budget beginner ratchet block I should get. (more info in post)

JW123

Hey all!
I am fixing up a 70s sunfish and I need to get a ratchet block for it. I am a very beginner and just need something good enough. I can always upgrade later, so right now I am just wanting something to get me started that is lower cost (since I am also needing to replace more or less all the hardware as most is missing, its adding up.)
I see there is some that are manual and some that are automatic, some are around $40, and some are around $100 (or more). I watched a couple quick videos on them trying to decide, but I probably need a little experience before I completely understand what would be best for right now.

So if you have any suggestions let me know.

Thanks!

Intensity Sail sells a couple of low price ratchet blocks which are both manual. I have the Harken 2135 which is $80 but there is also the Nautos block which is $40. I'm happy with the Harken. Maybe someone on this forum has experience with the Nautos?

You'll also need a standup spring and a stainless steel eye strap which are fairly cheap. There are instructions on the forum on how to install the block in the lip of the cockpit overhang. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at them.
As a beginner, should I start with a manual or automatic?

I have both of those. I’d honestly just get the Harken 2135 now. It’s a better ratchet block, should last for many years, and is worth the extra cost.

Thanks danpal and tag. I will take the advice and go with the Harken 2135.
Cant wait to get this all reassembled and on the lake.

I show the hardware you’ll need in this blog post:

Picture is from a Minifish, the same hardware and set up works on the lip of the Sunfish cockpit.

mainsheet-cleat-parts-list.png

Thanks for that Tag. I have for the eyestrap ordered, and I have added the spring and spring cup in with the ratchet block.

I had found a couple sunfish hardware diagrams and crossed that with what I have, which has been very helpful. I'm a little bit of a excel nerd, so I put everything in an excel document and have been shopping items on different sites to keep the price down. I should have everything ordered by the end of today.
A couple little areas of small damage I need to repair on the boat and then I'm hoping I'll be set!

Edit: besides the gooseneck. Trying to find a better deal on that somewhere.

Now if anyone can find me a new gooseneck for under $150, I'd be thrilled! ;)
Can’t believe they’re selling on Sunfishdirect for $150! And even more on Vela. I’ve got one- just needs the bolt or, better yet, a quick release from Intensity Sails (only $3.99!) Aluminum Quick Release for Sunfish Gooseneck

I’ll sell mine- used, at the budget-friendly price of $30 plus $8.00 shipping. Bronze and beautiful. You can message me here if interested (little envelope at the top ;))

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Sounds perfect! I will send a message.
(I had already ordered that quick release from insanity yesterday with some other items, so that I would be ready when I found a gooseneck.)

Back