Capsize Recovery Drill..not so good

wardie

Ok today I met one of the clubs instructors for an opportunity to learn how to get back in the boat whenever I capsize. Instructor (5'7'-150lbs) was excellent at it. scooped himself right out of the water into the cockpit no problem me on the other hand..well big problem. After three tries including taking off my lifejacket I just didn't have the strength to get back in. Most of the problem is my weight and also both shoulders are shot. One has a pin the other has a torn rotator cuff. Finally instructor makes loop for foot and I with him help get back in the boat. Shed a little blood tonight. I'm going to make a step out of good rope and have hooks so that I can place them under the cockpit lip and be able to easily get back into the boat. I have to tell you I was a little nervous about capsizing the boat and they righting and getting back in. Funny I capsized myself and the boat never did go over :(

I've only sailed the fish twice but really just enjoy it. Anyone have the same or similar experience like this and if so did you ever get back in??

Ok today I met one of the clubs instructors for an opportunity to learn how to get back in the boat whenever I capsize. Instructor (5'7'-150lbs) was excellent at it. scooped himself right out of the water into the cockpit no problem me on the other hand..well big problem. After three tries including taking off my lifejacket I just didn't have the strength to get back in. Most of the problem is my weight and also both shoulders are shot. One has a pin the other has a torn rotator cuff. Finally instructor makes loop for foot and I with him help get back in the boat. Shed a little blood tonight. I'm going to make a step out of good rope and have hooks so that I can place them under the cockpit lip and be able to easily get back into the boat. I have to tell you I was a little nervous about capsizing the boat and they righting and getting back in. Funny I capsized myself and the boat never did go over :(

I've only sailed the fish twice but really just enjoy it. Anyone have the same or similar experience like this and if so did you ever get back in??
Good on you to try and learn from the experience!

Are you sailing your SF solo or with a partner? With 2, I think it's quite easy for the person not pulling the dagger board down to get to the gooseneck and get scooped up into the hull as the boat uprights. I think that may be the "old" way instructors taught folks to right a Sunfish, but it is easier and makes sense to have 1 in the boat to now control the tiller and sheet until the other sailor boards. If you are solo - was your issue getting the boat righted, or once it is righted, getting up on the deck and in?

Are you sailing your SF solo or with a partner? With 2, I think it's quite easy for the person not pulling the dagger board down to get to the gooseneck and get scooped up into the hull as the boat uprights. I think that may be the "old" way instructors taught folks to right a Sunfish, but it is easier and makes sense to have 1 in the boat to now control the tiller and sheet until the other sailor boards. If you are solo - was your issue getting the boat righted, or once it is righted, getting up on the deck and in?
The issue was my weight and the fact that my left shoulder has a torn rotator and my right shoulder has a pin all from motorcycle racing so pulling and pulling my 63 yr. old portly body out of the water and into the cockpit I just couldn't do without the help of the rope around my foot.

Back