Bow Eye Screws Gettin' Loose

nesdog

I notice the bow eye screws are not holding 100%. The fitting is not moving much or in any immediate danger of unseating itself however I cannot get the screws to tighten completely. Is there any easy fix for this without having to do a full on surgery?

Are you putting any strain on the bow fitting for some reason? I don't recall ever having to use the bow eye for anything.

In any case, you can't get the screws to tighten completely because they are stripped; they aren't biting into anything when you turn them.

Take the screws out, clean everything off, put some 5200 into the holes, coat the screws in a thin layer of 5200, then screw them back in. Just don't keep turning and turning and turning, waiting for the screws to bite and become hard to turn, as this may not happen.

That should take care of everything.

Well, what I'm calling the bow eye is the cleat on the deck where the painter is tied off. Maybe there is a better term for it?

Re-visiting this thread since I have a little time right now to take care of the repair.
Isn't 5200 fairly flexible? If so, then how well will it hold the screws in the hole?

Sheldon

The boweye is never strong enough to actually pull on it. If you want to have a painter...tie around the mast and pass through the boweye...or skip it altogether.

Consider it a decorative hood ornament.

You set the parking brake...not tie your hood ornament to the parking meter...

As for remounting the loose one??

Take it off. Use a bent over nail to see if the adjacent wood is rotted inside the hole or if it is still firm.

If and only if the wood is firm.

Fill the holes with some epoxy.

Move the eye back a half inch and trace around it. Sand teh surface that will be under teh new position. Sand teh bottom of the fitting. Mount it again and this time use a 7 /64th drill and all the 3M 55200 you can manage to gooey around the thing. If the caulk doesn't ooze out everywhere you didn't use enough.

Then don't use it.

Back