Best paint?

Alex Pienkowski

Hello,

I've been fixing up an old boat and now I'm ready to re-paint. I live in Malawi, so it can be tricky to find more exotic types of paint, but so far I've found three polyurethane based products:

1. SigmaGuard EHB Neutral Base Paint

2. A generic polyurethane paint from Crown

3. A varnish from Dulux called 'Turbo-bright'

Also, I'm wondering whether I should paint it with a brush, or get a paint sprayer?

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex

ps I should say that it's a wooden Fireball (I know this is a Laser Forum, but I've had such good feedback from this site in the past)

I just redid a lot of wooden centerboards and rudders, I used minwax spar urathane semi gloss, they turned out awesome. I sprayed with a HVPL, and then took foam roller/brush and made sure it was even. The hardest part was just finding the right VFR o make it so it wouldn't drip, but after that it went fast and turned out great.

Alex,
at wodden boats, one has to distinguish the different surfaces that are outside/underwater of the hull and Deck/cockpit.
This is in result in minimum: two different colours to use for the finish-varnish.

1 for the deck and inside: There you want to have a high gloss & high anti wear & high UV resistent paint.
For the hull outside/waterline/underwater: you want a colour that do not chip of in reason of UV ageing.

"Dulux", I have found out, for Malawi comes from South Africa.
This brings me to the opinion, that it is better for you, you try to take paint from "Interlux/International". They also deliver from South Africa. "Interlux/International" has the homepage www.yachtpaint.com.

From that homepage is available a table about paint for the wodden deck/cockpit: http://www.yachtpaint.com/UK/boat_painting_guide/pdf/wood/perfect.pdf

You have to decide between varnish-paint "Goldspar" or "Shooner" for the deck/cockpit.

Yachtpaint.com has a painter's guide:
http://www.yachtpaint.com/UK/boat_painting_guide/default.asp

And the 2nd colour: For the waterline/(under-)waterside.
There I would high recommend: "Perfection Varnish" from "Interlux/International".
It is a 2 component polyurethane paint. You better do not spray that paint (spraying 2 component polyurethane paint is very toxic, you better take a roller). -> http://www.yachtpaint.com/uk//produ...ault.asp?ComponentID=4041&SourcePageID=5066#1

However, if you decide to not take "Interlux/International" paint, you perhaps try to take an equivalent of this paint of Dulux from Germany-homepage (I didn't found "Dulux -turbo bright" at the web):
http://www.dulux.de/p_lacke_kunst_klarlackhochglanzkhb.html
You may take a paintbrush or a roller.

You better first take a small can and give it a try at the transom wall of the hull, before probably in vain you start to paint the hull complete .

Generally: You have to paint several layers. Probably a pre-priming layer, a priming layer, 1 to 2 times: an originally paint layer and a finish layer. So, you have to calculate the volume of paint you need. Additionally you probably need specific thinner (especially for 2 comp and 1 comp polyurethane paint), therefore you have to view the specific data sheets of the different paints.

Just my 2 ct. of an €.

Good luck
LooserLu

wow.... that was a lot of info on wodden boats... thanks!! answered a lot random questions I had.

As far as painting is concerned... I like spraying. It makes it easier to make it a very nice finish. I spray all my gelcoat and epoxy paints. Just make sure you get the thinning ratios right or else you'll gump up your spray gun.

wow.... that was a lot of info on wodden boats... thanks!! answered a lot random questions I had...
;)
In my opinion, spraying is better, but it needs a lot of experience and professional equipment to get the best results. If one is a good "painter", rolling the paint in one each layer, is nearly as good as painting, but also there experience is the key.

I did follow the advises of 'gouvernail' for my old centerboards and rudder blades (full restauration with 'Perfection' and 'Interprotect' as the primer): I went to the next car painter to spray the last layers. They have the best experience to spray expensive paint and also have all the professional equipment. It is worth to invest the extra money (its definitely not to much compared to the results) if one likes to have don the work in professional result.

If you have additional questions, I have 2 small books to recommend:
“Sailboat Refinishing: Painting, Varnishing and Cosmetics”, Editor: Don Casey, Publisher: International Marine (USA), 1996
“Sailboat Hull & Deck Repair”, Editor: Don Casey, Publisher: International Marine (UK), 1996

I got them in translation in German from our local public library. They have realy usefull hints and sketches for beginners/low-advanced in how to do such marine painting jobs.

Ciao
LoserLu

Back