Question Any interest?

Seaotter5

One of the main reasons that I became interested in the Sunfish was a YouTube video on the Hampton Sunfish Challenge. Unfortunately that event (and the Connecticut River Challenge) are evidently victims of COVID. Both were very popular, so there is obviously an interest in that sort of relaxed social kind-of-racing events.
The Around Shelter Island Sunfish race is a big time event for serious Sunfish sailors. Would there be any interest in an Around Janes Island “race” for those of us with 50 year old boats and “limited competitive skills”?
Janes Island Maryland State Park is located in the Chesapeake Bay near Crisfield, and is a popular kayaking destination. The “water trail” around the island is around 12 miles.

One of the main reasons that I became interested in the Sunfish was a YouTube video on the Hampton Sunfish Challenge. Unfortunately that event (and the Connecticut River Challenge) are evidently victims of COVID. Both were very popular, so there is obviously an interest in that sort of relaxed social kind-of-racing events.
The Around Shelter Island Sunfish race is a big time event for serious Sunfish sailors. Would there be any interest in an Around Janes Island “race” for those of us with 50 year old boats and “limited competitive skills”?
Janes Island Maryland State Park is located in the Chesapeake Bay near Crisfield, and is a popular kayaking destination. The “water trail” around the island is around 12 miles.
oh man this sounds fun. but youre 3.5 hr drive or so. ive always wanted to get down there.

oh man this sounds fun. but youre 3.5 hr drive or so. ive always wanted to get down there.
I live near Harrisburg PA, about 4.5 hours away from Crisfield, but I take a couple of groups kayaking down in that area every year, usually over at Assateague. My brother and I are going to sail (me) and kayak (him) around Janes Island this Fall. I’ll post a report when we’re done.

i was in assateague in april camping on the beach. freezing and mega storm blew through so left the boat home. im in baltimore. just was up sailing at lake marburg 2 weeks ago and gave a boat to my buddy in taneytown. so thats his go to. lots of little boats there! ill be back in assateaque in early sept but mid week and hope to get the boat in then. harrisburg is even a hump to baltimore. but if you make it to the end of the river look me up. we usually are messing about around heart miller island.

i was in assateague in april camping on the beach. freezing and mega storm blew through so left the boat home. im in baltimore. just was up sailing at lake marburg 2 weeks ago and gave a boat to my buddy in taneytown. so thats his go to. lots of little boats there! ill be back in assateaque in early sept but mid week and hope to get the boat in then. harrisburg is even a hump to baltimore. but if you make it to the end of the river look me up. we usually are messing about around heart miller island.
I grew up in Howard County near Columbia, and my wife teaches on-line for MCPS, so I know the area well. I have never been out to Hart-Miller, but what I have heard is all good! I have paddled the upper Chesapeake (near Elk Neck) but never got a chance to sail there. Something more to add to the bucket list!

sailed out of elk neck a few tmes. usually take the boat with us camping and theres some fun stuff to explore there. hart miller is nice. its a mile off shore. an easy sail and can be made in 20 mins. or paddled if the wind dies. baltimore county sailing school runs in the same cove. so lots of kids out messing about sometimes. some ok bars and restaurants with decent tieups around too. we still havent been able to loop the island. the guy i sail with always plans the day ahead which drives me nuts. so we rarely have the wind we need to do it. but im determind to make the loop this year. we've tried on the laser>> but thought better of it since it was getting late and we were still learning our downwind and gybe technique. #goals huh?

I’m retired, so after my wife starts teaching next year my schedule will be fairly flexible. If you want someone to complete the circumnavigation with you I’ll be happy to trailer my Sunfish down there!

we are all still sorta working stiffs down here. but everyone is basically self employed, we have a difficult time scheduling and i think the wind would have to be pretty right to do it. but we could maybe pick a day end of season and i know i can rally a coupld of boats. and if we can make the loop we can absolutely find other stuff to do. hey @Helme1el you reading this?

Back