Two Lasers for the price of one.

MarkP

Hello,

I acquired two Lasers withing the last two weeks.

Yellow Laser ($400):
grPQn6Xm.jpg

HTBpzQsm.jpg

Om1Ok0nm.jpg

jSedV7Bm.jpg

VWTbeAMm.jpg

Bad:
Mast step cracked at the bottom (leaks)
1" soft spot
Multiple repairs

Good:
Rainbow sail
Trailer included in sale
one wood/one composite dagger board

Blue Laser (Free): has a white sail with the red laser logo. 1978 hull. Some flex to the hull and has something loose inside tumbling around. Missing the auto bailer. Bad; Deck separated from hull in one spot (will clean up and epoxy). No leaky mast step, though. Solid Deck.

a9ne52wm.jpg

H1fYv6Bm.jpg

sNxucVcm.jpg

8KcSKu5m.jpg

I am planning on keeping the blue hull, the composite daggerboard and rudder, the best of the two booms, masts, and sails.

Can anyone tell which sail is in better shape from looking at the pictures?

The rainbow sail seems less common. Any added value to that?

How much flex is too much flex?

Thanks!

Interesting mix of 1970s Laser stuff. Both sails appear to be in good shape for their age. The one with the rainbow panel sure is a curiosity, possibly from the early 80s actually. The other one (which was on a 1974 boat originally) is even curious-er, though - the cunningham eye was moved from the original (lower) position by late 1974, but this one has both positions. Also, it's probably one of the newest sails with the Elvström logo.

Flex is too much when it bothers you. Or affects your sailing, or leads to further destruction.

How old are the boats actually? That is, what numbers do they have under the bow eye (looks like the yellow boat at least has it there) or on the transom?

Interesting. Maybe this sail was made during some sort of transition.

The yellow hull- Unknown age. Someone repaired the bow eye and moved it fwd or back. covering/destroying the serial. Currently attempting to date it using the Michigan registration number. It does have Stainless steel rudder gudgeons, though so my guess is old.

The blue hull- 1978 hull based off the HIN. It has a 94 under the bow eye (any meaning to this?)

I'm thinking I'll be the only guy sailing a rainbow laser sail. Have not been able to find any relevant info about the sail out there.

Who manufactured the red Laser tagged sails?

where r u located. I have a good hull with no mast,boom,rudder,keel or sail........so I'm looking for a bad boat with good equipment
thanks Pat Kansas city 816-645-1388

The yellow hull- Unknown age. Someone repaired the bow eye and moved it fwd or back. covering/destroying the serial.
It does have Stainless steel rudder gudgeons, though so my guess is old.
I think the stainless gudgeons were gone by 75/76, but on the North American boats the hull/sail number was moved to the transom even earlier. If I were you, I'd unscrew the bow eye to find out more.
The blue hull- 1978 hull based off the HIN. It has a 94 under the bow eye (any meaning to this?)
A two-digit bow number probably doesn't carry any decipherable or even meaningful information.
I'm thinking I'll be the only guy sailing a rainbow laser sail. Have not been able to find any relevant info about the sail out there.
I have the vaguest of memories of boat number 100000 showcased with a sail like that. That would be 1982. I have to get to my summer cottage to go through the Yacht Racing magazines of the time :D
Who manufactured the red Laser tagged sails?
Haarstick in North America, Musto & Hyde in Europe, don't know about others elsewhere.

Flex is not good, it is a very tricky repair as it involves either cutting up the whole area and relaying glass and foam, or just cutting holes and injecting resin.

Flex is not good, it is a very tricky repair as it involves either cutting up the whole area and relaying glass and foam, or just cutting holes and injecting resin.

Just some flex on the sides of the hull. Not much close to the daggerboard area. Probably not an issue for this as a recreational hull.

I should think that the Elvstrom sail was originally supplied with the cunningham eye in the lower position and then the owner had a second eye put in at a later date.

Coloured sails were very common in the late 70's and early 80's on full rig sails on radial sails up to the late 90's.

See my post in this thread for more details about coloured sails:

Sail # info wanted | SailingForums.com

You do see coloured sails for sale on Ebay occasionally and they often fetch a reasonable price, especially if in good condition with no numbers on them. I think the Elvstrom sail is probably rarer, but the market seldom reflects this and it would probably not fetch as much as the rainbow sail - but it all depends on who is interested at the time.

MarkP, your experience reminds me of my own. I purchased a very old (hull #555) Laser with trailer that had clearly been treated with some care by previous owners, but had some soft areas on the deck. I then bought a bare hull Laser that had lots of cosmetic work needed and some areas of deck to hull separation. While the second boat looked bad, the repairs it needed were much easier to do than the work needed on the first boat with the soft deck.

I intended to make the repairs on the second boat and transfer all of the parts to it from the first boat. Well, I ended up repairing both and buying used spars, foils, etc. for the second boat.

I'm primarily a recreational sailor (and also in the Detroit metro area) so the two boats that are far from perfect are fine for me, although I have sailed a few times with the Creek Fleet group at Stoney Creek Metropark, which you may also find worthwhile.

Welcome to Lasers and this forum.

Colored sails in the early 80's. That was a few of us at Crissy Field in San Francisco. My blue and purple sail was great until the mast broke and tore it in half.

Attachments

• s_v14ak66btu20041.jpg
    s_v14ak66btu20041.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 60
MarkP, your experience reminds me of my own. I purchased a very old (hull #555) Laser with trailer that had clearly been treated with some care by previous owners, but had some soft areas on the deck. I then bought a bare hull Laser that had lots of cosmetic work needed and some areas of deck to hull separation. While the second boat looked bad, the repairs it needed were much easier to do than the work needed on the first boat with the soft deck.

I intended to make the repairs on the second boat and transfer all of the parts to it from the first boat. Well, I ended up repairing both and buying used spars, foils, etc. for the second boat.

I'm primarily a recreational sailor (and also in the Detroit metro area) so the two boats that are far from perfect are fine for me, although I have sailed a few times with the Creek Fleet group at Stoney Creek Metropark, which you may also find worthwhile.

Welcome to Lasers and this forum.

Thanks!

Will actually be at Stony Creek later today. If you are there by any chance, look for the rainbow sail!

I won't be at Stoney today, but the Creek Fleet has their weekly race there tonight. It's a very welcoming group and the racing is low intensity. All classes are together and they do a couple of handicapping schemes to rank results. I think they start at 6pm.

Rob

Fixed the cracked seam on the blue hull with some epoxy and fiberglass. Cleaned the seam, sandwiched some cloth, epoxied, and then clamped the seam.

Went sailing yesterday. No water in the hull afterwards ;)

gqZXsOJ.jpg
Nice photo, and good job on rockin' that old Laser!

Back