Sunfish vs. sailfish rudder

El Mar

Scored a free sunfish this weekend. Owner said it comes with a brand new rudder and centerboard.

After some investigation it appears I have a brand new sailfish rudder and a gnarly sunfish rudder.

Anyone by chance have a sunfish rudder in good shape that needs a sailfish rudder?

Other question, are there specs around on the newer shape rudder? The centerboard I have is brand new and of newer design. Solution may just be to make a new blade and scrounge the old parts for the rudder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Here are the two centerboards I have. Not sure what the small one is?? Sailfish?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 77
Your newer Sunfish dagger board is a "Barrington" design, the best of the three wood designs. You might consider taking the bronze rudder hardware off the beat-up Sunfish rudder blade and putting it on the nicer Sailfish blade (just a few new holes - use the old Sunfish blade as a template for proper hole alignment - the blades are about the same size.) From the photos, it also looks like you are missing the deck mount halyard block and cleat - I have these parts if you need them. $7 for the cleart and $12 for the block + $6 for shipping (USPS Flat Rate box.) Let me know if you are intereted.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

The block is there, but I do need the cleat.

I may take the cleat and the sail you posted in my other thread, let me check finances.

That small daggerboard is Sailfish/Super Sailfish/Super Sailfish MKII/Wooden Sunfish size but homebrew.

Back