Rigging a Laser / Force 5 rig in a Sunfish

roblongbeach

Has anyone figured out how to rig the 2.5" diameter mast of a Laser/Force 5 into the 2.25" mast step of a Sunfish. I am trying to recreate the old Super Sunfish rig once sold by AMF which had the same 2.25" diameter mast as the standard Sunfish rig.

A caution. I believe the Super Sunfish sail is about 65 sq. ft. (compared to the standard 75 sq. ft. lateen Sunfish sail.) A standard Laser sail is about 75 sq. ft. If you put a standard 75 sq. ft. Laser sail on a Sunfish, you may overpower the rig and destroy the Sunfish mast step once the wind picks up. Keep in mind that the tall Laser mast will put a lot more strain on the Sunfish mast step than the shorter Sunfish mast. If I were you, I would look around for a true Super Sunfish rig, Search the "For Sale" ads here in the Sunfish Forum as a Super Sunfish rig was advertized in the last year or so.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Has anyone figured out how to rig the 2.5" diameter mast of a Laser/Force 5 into the 2.25" mast step of a Sunfish.

Muffler shops have tailpipes that could be a "mix-and-match" fix—even available in stainless steel. 'Bet they'll donate one, when you tell them what it's for. Just sleeve the inside of the larger Laser/Force 5 mast, and provide enough depth to reach the bottom of the Sunfish step. 'Course, now that it's too high, you'll need to cut off a suitable amount from the Laser/Force 5 mast. You'll still have the above overpowered problem cited by Alan Glos—and a sail-rig that will be hard to sell. :confused: If you have strong wind conditions in your location, you risk repair to the mast step. If you don't, you'll be "one-up" on your Sunfish competition. :)

Thanks to both Alan and "light and variable". I understand the mast step potential problem, but I am sailing in light summer winds on Long Island. Hopefully everything will stay upright! I just have to find a donor rig to experiment with. Thanks again for the advice.

Has anyone figured out how to rig the 2.5" diameter mast of a Laser/Force 5 into the 2.25" mast step of a Sunfish. I am trying to recreate the old Super Sunfish rig once sold by AMF which had the same 2.25" diameter mast as the standard Sunfish rig.
A distant neighbor tossed a black aluminum mast to the curb. No boat was seen to suggest what it's from. :( It is 2.5" outside diameter, and just shy of 9-feet long. It has a black plastic cleat and a hinged fitting on which to secure a boom. I have rescued it :), but don't know what it fits. :confused:

L&VW,

I am guessing that you have the bottom mast section to an Alcort Force Five. Maybe somebody here on the Forum has a Force Five and can post the specs.
I have owned three of them, but do not have one at this writing.

Alan Glos

This is the gooseneck on the bottom section of the mast for my '75 Force 5. Is this like your "hinged fitting"?
Force5.jpg

Similar in concept , but yours is 'way more substantial. (And my "find" has a smaller ¼"-20 bolt holding the pin on).

This 9-foot mast has no positive-ID labels, but there must be an upper mast section to justify the "overhead electric wires" warning label that does appear.

Photos 12112016 51323 PM.bmp.jpg

This "foundling" has a U-shaped notch at the top.

Not for a Zuma or Alcort "Puffer", either. :(

L&VW, I am guessing that you have the bottom mast section to an Alcort Force Five. Maybe somebody here on the Forum has a Force Five and can post the specs. I have owned three of them, but do not have one at this writing.
Alan Glos
I've checked the mast sections of the Catalina Capri 13 and Banshee. The Force 5 comes closest. Thanks... :)

Back