Replace @#%@# mainsheet block/cleat?

sundog

My new/old (79) Precision laser has a funky metal mainsheet block/cleat that has helped me dump the boat several times (OK, there are other reasons, but let's not talk about those). The combined block/cleat grabs the rope in a deathgrip, especially when I'm heeling. Naturally, it doesn't want to let go when I want it to, resulting in dumpings, near-dumpings and foul language.
I'm used to using a deck-mounted ratchet block that doesn't foul. Are these used? Are they legal?:confused:

If the wind is strong don't sail cleated only cleat when you need a free hand.

The "new" rigging, at least on the pro models include a harken ratchet block for the main. I believe if you look at some other threads, you'll see that a mainsheet block with cleat is not legal, only the use of deck mounted cleats is permitted for the mainsheet.

Yeah, I saw one of them mainsheet block/cleat combinations for the first time just the other day.
Scary lookin'! Like the one on my 35yr old Albacore.
Get some deck mounted cleats. They're cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions. Goonie, one of the hazards of this rig is that it loves to cleat itself off if there is any tension at all on the mainsheet (such as when you are sailing in strong winds). To release the fouled cleat means leaning leaward which often means a faceplant into the sail. The Harken block sounds like a good replacement.

Mainsheet cleats? Cleats!!!?

Best setup I have found is no cleats at all. Keep that sail under you hand control. A Fredrickson Ratchet block, used with Rooster Rope mainsheet, is far superior in my opinion to the Harken block.
You will need really sticky gloves for that skinny, slippery sheet, though.

Dennis Olson
Tomales Bay, CA

Tomales Bay!!!!
Is Tony's Seafood still there? Is he still servin' that shrimp Louie? What a hoot.
What about the Marshall Tavern? Saw a band called 'Bananas' play there once, loooooooong ago.
Don't Great White sharks breed out there at the mouth of the bay? I'll bet you know how to sail real fast!
Wonder how much more the bay's slited up in the last 30 yrs.
Sniff.....now I'm getting all choked up............so much time past.....so long ago when I was young.........
Oh yeah, my Harken gloves work swell with my Rooster mainsheet, and ain't got no cleats yet either.

Tomales Bay

Hey, Hoipolloi,

Pass me your address (mine is [email protected]) and I'll bring you up to date on Tony's and all the other environs (including shark pictures!) of Tomales Bay. This marks the 20th year I have been sailing my Laser there.

Dennis

Back