Ray Greene Rascal 14; information request

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by Rascal 14, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Rascal 14

Rascal 14 New Member

Recently, my parents have informed me they have a sailboat on their property nice and distant from where I live. From what I've been able to gather its a Ray Greene Rascal. Not being close enough to personally inspect the boat I only have pictures to go on.
    Here are a bow and hull photo: Ray Green Rascal 14 Bow.JPG Ray Greene Rascal hull.JPG

I say now, I haven't been around sailboats since I was 6 and want to bring it back into my life, specifically to introduce to my daughter at some point. I know very little terminology related to sailing and am trying to learn, so if I refer to something incorrectly, please forgive me and let me know the proper terminology. My request for assistance centers around the fact that the boat appears to need some "wonderful" reconstruction work on the board box. You can see the board box I'm referring to in the next photo with some rotten wood and banged up fiberglass: Ray Greene Rascal Board box.JPG

The boat has sat outside in dry air for an extensive period of time and appears that it'll take a lot of work just to get the boat to where I live and I'm trying to figure out, after its gotten here, how much work could potentially be needed to repair what's gotten rotten; wood or fiberglass. From initial conversation with the parents most everything appears cosmetic and fairly (used loosely) basic except for repairing the keelboard itself and the board box. What I'm trying to make sure of is that I don't get in over my head in repairing this particular boat cost wise. So in order to do that I'm attempting to do a couple of things. A) track down as much information on these boats as possible, most specifically how the board box is built, but any information would be fantastic. B) come up with some cost estimates with a factor of unexpected expenses added after a potential list has been formed. Really all the information that I have found thus far is here: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5918

So at this point I don't have much to go on not even a production number to help look up particulars of the boat, but then again I don't know where to look for the production number on the hull.

So if anyone has insights into where to track down information on Ray Greene's Rascal, insights on its constructions, or general information regarding their experiences restoring a day-sailor, thoughts are appreciated.
  2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

If you 'google' Rascal sailboat you will find more info.
  3. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

There's not a ton of info. out there. I bought an old one last fall. It didn't need any hull work. But I think the boom and sails aren't original so the sail can't be hauled to the top of the mast, .

Got to really sail it for a week a few weeks ago and it is a nice stable boat and worth the work if your not alergic like I'm alergic to boat improvement projects. Anything is fixable with the right amount of time and money. Personally I wouldn't tackle what your looking at unless it has sentimental value or you just like old boats. There's something to be said for a newer boat that has all the right parts/pieces and those parts/pieces are readily available. Check Craigslist in your area. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm keeping mine and will continue to sail it to make sure it's a good empty nest hobby for my first mate and me. But, I may upgrade to something newer sometime, too.

As for the center board bunk, you might also look for info. on the 16 ft. Rebel. Ray Greene also built these and the design is similar to the Rascal and has endured. I believe Ray Greene stopped building boats in the mid 70's.

You may want to share these pics with the best sailboat marine service shop in your area for ideas and estimates as well.

Good luck!
  4. hopscotch

hopscotch New Member

According to Harry Milling an employee and sailmaker for Ray Greene, Rascal and its bigger brother Rebel (16) were originally manufactured by Rebel Industries in Jackson, Michigan. Ray Greene was doing a college thesis in 1948 in conjunction with Owens Corning using honeycombed fiberglass. Sometime later it was manufactured in Canidaigua, NY by German Brothers and eventually the hull designs were sold to Spindrift. Spindrift did produce the Rascal and I have one of the owners manuals for the Rascal from them. Spindrift later moved production to Tallevast, Florida. I had contact with the sailmaker who originally worked for Rebel Industries and had the sail and mast dimensions. I had my boat (Hopscotch) refitted with a larger dia mast (2.4" x 3") and bought a new set of sails from Bacon and Associates who list the sail dimensions under Venture sailboats. I have sailed Hopscotch on the Finger Lakes in New York and on Lake Ontario since 1987. Just this year I replaced the centerboard trunk, refiber-glassing the plywood on both sides and finishing with a good 2-part epoxy. I did some additional epoxy work on the hull below the waterline and have her ready to sail this spring. She is forgiving and fun to sail. We have sailed larger boats but still enjoy the thrill of feeling the lift when the sails are trimmed right and running the rails on the ragged edge.
  5. BillRayGreene14

BillRayGreene14 New Member

image.jpg image.jpg I recently purchased a ray greene rascal also and was wondering what the original rigging looked like. Specifically the main sheet system. I don't suppose that owners manual has pics of it. It appears from the pic above it may have came with a traveler system. Any thoughts? Here are aome pics of mine.
  6. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

Not sure what I do is "original," but this was the set up on the boat as I received it when purchased. My sailing vocabulary is small, but I'll give it my best shot here.

There are small blocks attached to the two corners of the stern, another block on the end of the boom (with swivel), another one mid-boom with swivel, then the block/cleat combo attached to the centerboard bunk that you see in the pic above. One end of the line has a snap, I connect it to the boom end at the same point the swivel block is attached. Then I run the line down through a corner block, across to the other corner block, up to the boom-end block, through to the mid-boom block, then down to the bunk block/cleat. So, the main sheet line sort of forms its own traveler.

Hope this helps. I'll be interested if anyone has any other rigging examples for this boat.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BillRayGreene14

image.jpg Yes. This helps a ton! I thought this was how it was supposed to be set up but wasn't sure. It would appear I'm missing three blocks. One on the aft end of boom and two below.
    I'm also extremely new to sailing and it seems most of the things I can find assume you already know how to rig a boat.
    If someone has a pic of that boom end block that'd be awesome. Being so far inland there are few and far between sailboat parts available other than online.
  8. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

Here are mine.

Boom-end block.JPG Stern Block.JPG
  9. BillRayGreene14

10. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

"bought a new set of sails from Bacon and Associates who list the sail dimensions under Venture sailboats."

I didn't see Rascal sails on baconsails.com. Curious if you have those sail dimensions, Hopscotch. Wondering how much a new set would cost. Sails stretch and ropes shrink and my sails are a perfect example. Also, the bolt rope seems to go all the way around the tack (corner of the sail where the boom meets the mast), keeping the sail from going all the way up mast as the bolt rope jams where the slot for the sail narrows. Curious if yours does the same. I'd like to not have to put my head between my knees when we come about!
  11. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Well shuck my corn, as soon as I stop looking for information about my Rascal I find others who own them. Only now I have more questions. I'm pretty sure mine is an '84, but your cockpits look completely different than mine.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  12. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Just noticed that your boats came with a topping lift. Wish mine had. It's a pain using that boom crutch every time I go to lower the main. Was considering modifying the jib for a small roller furling system so I could sail single handed a little easier.
  13. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

Michael, you have a more modern (and, may I say, better looking) version of the Rascal. I suspect yours was built by SpinDrift. Ours were probably 70's predecesors. Ray Greene stopped building 'em around 1975. My boom goes "boom" when I lower the main. =o) I'm in west Michigan. Where are you guys from? Also curious if Rascal 14 ever took that boat home.
  14. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Thanks, Steve. If I may ask, where in W. Michigan? I'm just east of Ann Arbor, but I keep my boat up at Elk Lake near Traverse City.
    You are correct. My boat is definitely by SpinDrift OneDesigns. It's what I learned to sail on and I love it. I had the same problem with my mainsail jamming in the track last summer but when I took the down the mast I realized that it was due to a portion of the lake bottom being forced into it when my friend and I were seeing how far we could heel it over....and turtled it. :) That boat was NOT meant for hiking out. I've toyed with the idea of putting a trapeze on it but I don't think it would be wise.
  15. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

Curious, what is the center board made of on the SpinDrift version. Mine is metal and heavy. We've had water over the rail but have never spilled her. I think the heavy center board keeps her stable.
  16. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

You might be right, Steve. Although it would have to be pretty heavy! Mine's made from mahogany. So is my rudder. This is the best pic I have of my rudder right now, but you can make out the differences between the SpinDrift version and the early models.[​IMG]
    I also made a new, shorter tiller so that I could ad an extention. The one that came with the boat was so long it made it a pain to tack.[​IMG]
  17. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

I like the cup holders!

Yes, I think I saw one post somewhere that a guy took the centerboard out and couldn't pick it up. He thought it was 80 lbs. That could make a difference in keeping a Rascal upright. I do like the looks of the newer boats like yours.
  18. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

No kidding!? Wow. That thing must be made out of lead to be that heavy. I never would have guessed. I suppose that would make a huge difference with stability in a boat that light.
    Thanks for the compliment on the cup holders, it's just too bad they don't work very well. Too big and too shallow to hold anything for very long!
  19. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Steve,
    I'm looking at the pics of Rascal's boat. The line underneath the main sheet in the jam cleat, is that the halyard for the main?
  20. Ghagley-Rascal-14

Ghagley-Rascal-14 New Member

Hello all my name if George from Hampton Roads Virginia. I picked up a 1981 Spindrift One Design Rascal and have a few questions.
    1. My boat is missing the capacity sticker that shows the max persons and weight so if anyone has this sticker can they post a picture or just the info from it so I can have it recreated?

2. I noticed there was talk of the later models having a topping lift, but mine does not. I have two metal pieces at the top of the mast on the right hand side where is looks like something is missing. I am thinking this could be where the topping lift attached. The first two pictures below are the metal bracket I am talking about.

I also attached a few pictures with the sails up (trailer sailing :) ) to show the whole rig I have. I don't think my Jib is original because it doesn't have the window advertised in the flyer I saw.

I hope to have the boat on the water soon. It needed a few repairs like a new drain plug and a new trailer. I ordered a 3.5 HP motor for it and It should be here soon.
    IMG_1356[1].JPG IMG_1357[1].JPG IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1347.JPG
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014