Proper Trailer Setup

saeler79

Hello all! New to forums and new to sailing. Still have not sailed yet, looking for beginner lesson, but in meantime snatched a '79 laser on CL with trailer. I have a feeling I didn't get a good deal, but will probably ask y'all opinions in a separate thread.

First question, is I know nothing about trailers, and successfully towed it home with the one it came with (EZ Loader Sprint). Support looks pitafull in my novice opinion.

Overview Pic1:
IMG_20160830_201401407.jpg

Pic2, 2x4 bunks are on edge:
IMG_20160830_201423474.jpg

Pic3, wheel in center is resting on hull:
IMG_20160830_201429352.jpg

Pic4, bow is supported by wheel, which lots of chunks missing from deck:

Any thoughts how to properly support this (long term, like winter, and short term for trips)? I read other threads, but didn't seem to find anything like this trailer.

2X4 on edge is pretty common for under 1000 lb boats. Not something I'd worry about as long as there is a good contact over the full length of the 2x4.

The roller touching the hull is also common. It shouldn't be deforming the hull. I might change it to a softer yellow material roller.

The roller type bumper a the nose should be changed to a big soft (yellow) V. Poly "V" Bow Stops (Tiedown Engineering) - Tie Down Engineering 86285 - iboats.com (typical) BIG and flexible unlike the black hard rubber ones.

Be careful with the roller touching the hull when you tie it down. If you get it too tight, it will put too much pressure on the hull and could cause it to deform at that point. Tie it securely at the bow and at the back where the runners are to minimize pressure on the hull.

I would find a way to secure the spars independent of securing the hull to the trailer. I have a pair of Spar Partners that I've used for years. I bungee the spars to the mainsheet block and the hiking strap eyestraps at the back of the cockpit.

He's already got signs it was pulled in so tight on the bow roller that the bow hit the metal roller mount.

The BIG, SOFT yellow V shape bow stop should prevent further damage.

Note.. it does need to be pulled in firmly to the bow stop so the bow doesn't bounce and slap the stop as you go down the road.

Bigger, softer roller won't hurt.

It should touch the hull

The boat and trailer need to be in good contact with each other and held with straps to form a unit. This stiffens the trailer by using the boat as a brace. That results in the boat NOT banging against the trailer. Leaving gap between hull and roller means when the trailer frame flexes that roller can slap the hull and eventually break through.

Its not so much contact area as it is ensuring its not intermittent contact. Intermittent contact is like whacking the hull with a hammer.

I think that about answers my questions on proper trailer setup with this type of bunk and roller trailer. thank you for the input!

Back