Porpoise II self Bailer

Anybody know how the self bailer looks like on this boat?

• Tube

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mechanism

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Henry F Mora

I have renewed this sail boat and trailer. The Self Bailer was a challenge to me since I didn't figure out what attached the upper and lower holes. So I geri-rigged a flexible vinyl hose connecting the two. But still looking for the original hardware that goes there or at least the design so I can attempt to copy it.

Attachments

• Porpoise II Self Bailer hole.jpg
    Porpoise II Self Bailer hole.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Porpoise II with Trailer.jpg
    Porpoise II with Trailer.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Porpoise II Hull serial number.jpg
    Porpoise II Hull serial number.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 64
As best as I could see with limited (sun) lighting, below the two inner drains there is a black (?) plastic cup. In capacity, the cup is approximately 4 "fluid" ounces. When one cup is lower, the other cup drains out the bottom through its matching scoop. (Which face rearwards). If you capsize frequently—which is easy in the narrower-than-a-Sunfish Porpoise II—the cup empties whatever contents it has, into the hull's interior. :confused: I don't have a Porpoise II any longer, and the design may have changed over time.

The popularity of digital cameras may allow a wide-angle shot to see exactly how those drains work. Set the camera to "close-up" (or better), put the lens against the top cockpit drain outlets, and the resulting picture should be well exposed. :rolleyes:

(Although you may not be able to figure out what you've got!)

I have renewed this sail boat and trailer. The Self Bailer was a challenge to me since I didn't figure out what attached the upper and lower holes. So I geri-rigged a flexible vinyl hose connecting the two. But still looking for the original hardware that goes there or at least the design so I can attempt to copy it.
I didn't realize how elaborate this mechanism is. Now, since I can see through the hull, where'd those cups go? Are they rolling around inside the hull?

I recall being able to see daylight through both cockpit drains.

Using hoses to connect the two scuppers with the metal bailer should provide some relief to draining the cockpit; however, you're likely to have more water sloshing in the cockpit—and retaining it longer. :( I thought Porpoise II's answer—holding the "surplus water" with cups—was clever, but maybe they "overthought" it. :rolleyes:

Back