Not Sure If a Laser is for Me

bbaggetty

For two years I have taken sailing lessons using a 420 during the summer. I got really good at skippering, now I want to be able to go out on my own.

I do not want to race, and possibly want to take someone else sailing too, but mostly go by myself. Is the laser the right boat for this? I have only sailed Optis and 420s, and 420s are pretty fast and I love hiking out, that is the main reason for thinking about a laser. What does everyone think?

Comments would be greatly appreciated,
Ryan

IMHO, unless you are small or your potential crew member is small, it will be shall we say "intimate" in the cockpit. I have taken my daughter out when she was about 10, at 14 she is nearly my 5'10" and her interest is in horses so she hasn't wanted to go out. I would try to find a local fleet and see if there is someone who would let you go out on theirs after they are done racing or when they are sailing casually.

For a solo boat, I think they are great for all the reasons discussed in a recent thread many of which still apply even if you don't race. I did not start out initially to race and you would always have the option to race down the line.

Regardless of racing, if you get a decent breeze you can the hike as long your abs and thighs hold out.

But by all means, try one out first before buying. Would you buy a pair of shoes without trying them on first?

What about a Laser 2? That's the route I'm considering for my son (8 yrs. - 65 lbs) and myself. I sailed a laser as a youth and really enjoyed it, but there is not enough room for two, read "intimate".
Best of luck.
Shawn

Back