New to Laser sailing...need lots of help/info!

Mick

Hello all,

I'm currently own & sail a small daysailor (Galilee 15), but as I'm the only one in my family who really has any desire to sail...I'm looking to sell off the Galilee & pick up a Laser.

The Galilee is great boat but hauling it around just for myself has become a bit of a chore & I'm hoping that a smaller boat such as a Laser will inspire me to head out more often. And it doesn't hurt that they look like so much fun to sail! I still consider myself a novice sailor and I've also wondered whether or not learning on boat such as the Galilee was the right choice (the price was right, it was given to me)...I like the idea of sailing something more responsive and agile.

Sooooooo...

Throw it at me...Any advice on certain boats; I'm leaning towards a good old fashioned Laser..nothing fancy, I don't plan on racing (yet?)..just want to have some fun.

Anything to avoid....are all Laser's created equal?

I'll be sailing on Lake Michigan (Chicago) if that factors into the equation at all.

I've budgeted somewhere in the $1500.00 - $2000.00 range for my purchase...that will have to include a trailer.

I'm not sure what other info would help, so feel free to ask me any questions if it'll help with any advice you might have.

Thanks...I look forward to your replies.

Mick

Hi Mick,

The Laser will definitely be fun for you; using your entire body hiked out to head upwind in a stiff breeze, feeling the power of plaining, contemplating if it would just be easier to submit to the death roll now... rather than later. Pure joy!

Are all Lasers created equal? Are there differences in different model years of Ford Mustangs? I still club race competitively in a '73. Run a search on this topic at the drLaser site.

Also, I think that the trailer you have dictates the singlehandiness of the boat. I went for a lightweight aluminum trailer. Very easy to handle by myself.

As for learning to sail on a Laser, I don't know. I personally learned in a Sabot, and now I have a Lido 14 to take out friends who are interested in sailing.

But the Laser is definitely my boat of choice!

Happy Sailing!

Greg,

Thanks!...I pretty excited about it, it looks like alot of fun. Tomorrow's the day to snap some photos of the Galilee to put her up for sail and as soon as it's gone, I can pick up a Laser.

Death Roll....sounds fun!

Mick said:
Hello all,

I'm currently own & sail a small daysailor (Galilee 15), but as I'm the only one in my family who really has any desire to sail...I'm looking to sell off the Galilee & pick up a Laser.

The Galilee is great boat but hauling it around just for myself has become a bit of a chore & I'm hoping that a smaller boat such as a Laser will inspire me to head out more often. And it doesn't hurt that they look like so much fun to sail! I still consider myself a novice sailor and I've also wondered whether or not learning on boat such as the Galilee was the right choice (the price was right, it was given to me)...I like the idea of sailing something more responsive and agile.

Sooooooo...

Throw it at me...Any advice on certain boats; I'm leaning towards a good old fashioned Laser..nothing fancy, I don't plan on racing (yet?)..just want to have some fun.

Anything to avoid....are all Laser's created equal?

I'll be sailing on Lake Michigan (Chicago) if that factors into the equation at all.

I've budgeted somewhere in the $1500.00 - $2000.00 range for my purchase...that will have to include a trailer.

I'm not sure what other info would help, so feel free to ask me any questions if it'll help with any advice you might have.

Thanks...I look forward to your replies.

Mick

Laser sailing is great glad ur interested
if u want to check out some lasers in the price range ur looking for go 2
www.teamvanguard.com
there are lots of great boats for sale there

I've checked out both places...lots of good boats for sale! All I need now is for my Galilee to sell, so I can make my selection.

I have to tell you....The more I information I come across about Laser sailing, the more fun it looks!

One more question...what are the main differences between a "standard" & "racing" rig? I see it mentioned in alot of classifieds ads, but I'm not sure what they mean.

Thanks,

Mick

Mick

When people refer to standard rigging, they mean the regular outhaul, cunningham and vang. The upgrade (racing/performance) rigging are the new rigging packages for the outhaul, cunnungham and vang that give you more purchase and cam cleats on you deck. If you're new to Laser sailing, you chould probobly learn with the standard rigging first as it'd save you lots of money....but if you find a boat in your budget that already has the new rigging, by all means you should go for it.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1167.asp

That should show you a good picture of the new 15:1 vang made offered by Harken and Holt and the price as well...which isn't cheap either!

Once you get into Lasers sailing after maybe a season or so and if you like it, then maybe you should consider getting the new rigging for better performance.

http://www.laserinternational.org/rules/rulchovw.htm

This will give you more information on the new rule changes as well as how they developed. It also shows simple ways to modify the standard rigging without having to spend a buundle.

> what are the main differences between a "standard" & "racing" rig?

Wasson may or may not be on the right track.

These terms may have no relationship at all. They can be "apples and oranges"!

In "For Sale" ads, the term "Stadard Rig" typically refers to the rig style (which defines the Class). Three styles are available:
1. Laser Standard
2. Laser Radial
3. Laser 4.7
These are related to the "sail size" used on that Laser.

On the other hand, "racing rig" is a term used to define the "quality" of the running rigging/fixtures on the boat for sale. It just means that your lines are probably Spectra lines, the hiking strap is a quality padded one, etc. That is, it may not even have anything to do with the new "performance upgrades" in the rigging that Mac is talking about above.

Someone who sells his/her Laser with these "performance upgrade kits" would probably (should) describe that as "new rigging". Not as "racing rigging".

The terminology is not set in stone. There are a lot of "careless" people posting ads out there. So, the best is to interpret each For Sale ad individually and to write and ask the owner exactly what he/she means.

SG

As far as buying a Laser in Chicago, I bought an 81 last year for 1250, and that included all the upgrades and a fairly decent sail. Seems theres always a few boats for sale in our local district (20.) There is a small leak, so the hull is probably a bit softer, but I didnt feel this affected me in the light-medium airs that I've raced in.

Have you considered racing? In Chicago there are spring and fall series' for the Laser, as well as "beer can" racing during the summer. A timely fact: we start the spring series this sunday at Monroe harbor! Come on down, we're racing inside the harbor so we're very visible from shore. I think start time is around 1030
kristian

I really hadn't given racing too much thought just yet...Right now, I just want to pick one up & get the feel for it, but I wouldn't rule it out all-together either.

I'll see what's on the agenda this Sunday & maybe I can come check you guys out; it never dawned on me that without all the usual summer traffic in Monroe Harbor, you've got plenty of room to race a laser around.

Is there anywhere on the net that lists the times of the races in Chicago?

Any "Chicago-specific" places you'd reccommend going to find a used laser?(I've heard there's a pretty active fleet out of Belmont Harbor)

Mick

The fleet you've heard of at Belmont is the group that races "frostbite" races, which is what we'll be doing on Sunday. We usually race in/out of Belmont harbor, but since that's a bit of a construction zone these days, we've moved downtown. I've never raced inside Monroe, but it sounds interesting. Someone likened it to an inland lake, with the breakwater providing a pretty mild sea state. Ill know more next monday.
For more information on the local laser scene and also used Lasers, I'd recomend the laserbelmont mailing list. Not quite sure how to subscribe, but the the addy i use to send messages is [email protected]. Failing that, you might contact Dave Abbott ([email protected]) who can probably help you out. The mailing list is really great, with regatta info, used boats/parts, and as I've found, lots of advice for the newbie.
Another place to get information about Laser racing in chicago might be CYC's website: http://www.chicagoyachtclub.com/SpringFrostbitingSeries/index.html CYC's site has a schedule so you can see when we'll be out.
If you can make it out on sunday, there are people there who are much more knowledgable about Lasers/racing/frostbiting than myself, but I can try to help you out as well. Look for the old baby blue Laser, being sailed (technically) by a guy in a dark green drysuit.
As to racing vs. sailing, I've sailed all of my life, but have learned more in the last 3 years of racing than the last 20-so of cruising and daysailing. It's a great way to improve, and on top of that its great fun. Highly recomended.
Also, if theres info regarding the boat you're trying to sell, please send it to [email protected], as I have some friends looking for a 2 place daysailor.
cheers
kristian

Thanks for all the great information!

I've also forwarded an email to your friends about the boat...I used your name as the subject line, hope that's ok. I figured they'd be less likely to assume it was spam that way.

Thanks again...hope to see you out at the lake this summer

Mick

Back