Need some help - Sunfish clone!

Aladinbama

Well, as the title says I need some help. Hopefully because it is not a Sunfish I won't get kicked out, but I would understand if I do.
I just purchased a 1971 Starfish. The rudder, daggerboard and sail are all Sunfish, but the hull is marked Starfish. The boat seems (to me) to be in pretty good shape with just a few issues. Some of these may need attention, others may just be my ignorance.
First, is it possible to rig up a Sunfish type bailer on this boat? Apparently, someone thought it was a good idea to drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the cockpit area to drain it - of course it is draining into the hull which I know is a no-no (I also have read about the blocks being saturated and how to go about drying them - future project I'm sure).
Next question involves the mast-step. It seems to have some cracks around the top where it meets the deck. Hopefully a picture will upload, but are these of concern or should I not worry about them for a while?
Other than that, I realize the sail is on the wrong side of the mast and I need some new lines which are easily dealt with. Any help with Starfish information would also be helpful. Thanks! Tom

Attachments

• Sail.JPG
    Sail.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 102
  • Mast Step.JPG
    Mast Step.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Drain plug.JPG
    Drain plug.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 70
YOU ARE RIGHT - THIS IS A SUNFISH ONLY SITE! BEGONE INFIDEL ROGUE WITH YOUR HEATHEN CLONEFISH!
Just kidding...welcome to the Sunfish Forum.

How do you know this is a '71 Starfish? Is there a builder's plate somewhere on the hull? The Shorty Pen website (http://www.shortypen.com/sailboat-guide/board-boat/) does list the Starfish and the builder. The sail is 100% Sunfish, and a nice one at that. The rudder hardware is not stock Sunfish but it does fit into the Sunfish "U" shaped stainless steel rudder gudgeon. The deck mount halyard block is a genuine Wilcox-Crittenden Sunfish factory issue block. Post photos of the splashrail and the holes in the cockpit and the daggerboard and a side view of the rudder blade. These will all be helpful. The little gelcoat cracks around the mast step are not that serious but bear watching. Is there a storage compartment aft of the cockpit tub?

Nice boat. How much did you get it for? Where are you?

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Reactions: tag
You asked for it - here's what I have to help answer your questions so far. I don't have a picture of the holes, but I'm pretty sure they weren't put there by the factory. The daggerboard is labeled Sunfish and the splashrail has Starfish and the name plate has Starfish's manufacturer. I paid $450 for - I figured it was a decent deal and a pretty good start to sailing. The trailer lights need work (aka replacing) and the rest some general tlc. My guess is that it was rarely used as the bottom is as slick as pig snot (don't ask, just thought it was funny) - it isn't all scratched up. There is an under deck area aft of the cockpit that almost makes it to the rear of the boat.
I have found some inexpensive places to buy some parts and pieces. I'm thinking of adding a drain on the top edge of the deck, some inspection ports (aid in drying if needed), and would love to find a way to deal with the holes (silicone-?) and add a bailer (maybe).
Tom
Pearland, Tx.

Attachments

• Name Plate.JPG
    Name Plate.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 67
  • splash rail.JPG
    splash rail.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 70
  • dagger1.jpg
    dagger1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 75
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 74
  • SAM_1447.JPG
    SAM_1447.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 62
Here are some more;
Sorry for posting so many pictures, but pictures can sometimes take the place of a thousand words. The 3rd and 4th picture here are of the holes. There is a third hole in the aft area of the cockpit just before it goes into the ?-storage-? area.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Aft area.JPG
    Aft area.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Dagger Label.JPG
    Dagger Label.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Holes1.JPG
    Holes1.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Holes2.JPG
    Holes2.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Rudder close.JPG
    Rudder close.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Rudder profile.JPG
    Rudder profile.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 52
Yes, it's a Starfish, very similar to a post 1972 Sunfish. I am guessing it is about mid-1970s. The main difference is the splashrail that is molded into the deck rather that a separate component that is screwed or riveted to the deck. The rudder blade is also a different shape and more vertical (a good thing) and the tiller, cast aluminum rudde head and the straps that hold the tiller to the rudder blade are also different but still well made. As long as the hull is not waterlogged, you got the package at a good price.

The holes in the cockpit tub are a mystery. By any chance, do they feed into hoses that drain to the outside of the hull or do they just drain into the interior of the hull (not a good thing.) I can't believe that the builder would produce the boat without
an automatic bailer of some type. You may be able to plug the holes with drain plugs (sort of like wine bottle stoppers) available from a West Marine store or catalog. However, what you really need is to find another Starfish owner and compare notes on these holes. Google "Starfish sailboat" and see what you can find.

Do add some inspection ports. That will give you access to the inside of the hull and maybe solve the cockpit hole issue.

Last summer I came into possession of a rudder blade that fit into a new style Sunfish rudder head but was definitely not a Sunfish blade, see photo. I ended up selling it to a guy in San Francisco who was rehabbing some no-name hull. I now think this blade was a Starfish rudder blade.

Good project. Keep us posted.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

• L1030160.jpg
    L1030160.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 59
Here's my plan - buy both types of Sunfish bailers and carefully pick which one to use. Crazy, or pretty much a good idea?

71 Starfish, is that what the registration said? The holes in the cockpit might have been where a hiking strap was attached. Or someone drilled them to let water drain from the hull into the cockpit, possibly taped over them? Who knows? I'd fill them with thickened epoxy or Marine Tex, silicone would be my 3rd choice. There needs to be one small vent hole, like 1/8 inch, high up on a cockpit wall so the boat doesn't pop when it heats up.

As for a bailer, I'd skip it and carry a hand bailer stowed in the storage compartment. There is always going to be a small amount of water in the cockpit.

The area around the mast step just looks like peeling gelcoat, maybe a small spider crack like around the coaming. Structurally it is fine, as the fiberglass underneath is OK. Keep an eye on it like Alan recommended.

Fillip also made the Viper 15
Viper 15.jpg

I'd put a bailer in. In choppy conditions it is easy to get a lot of water in the cockpit, and if you flip, it will make it much easier to drain the cockpit.

Ok, so maybe I'll start with the inspection ports, patch the holes and just clean it up a bit.
I probably should see if it actually floats before I spend any more money on it. I'm pretty sure it will be fine, but ....
And heck, having a bail bucket for a time or two will takes me back to some old(er) days :)

The Viper appears to be a pretty nice boat!

I have a Starfish as well and it doesn't have any holes in it, doesn't have a bailer or the huge storage below deck in the stern.
I need/want to add a bailer, inspection ports, and a hiking strap. Per what I have read the Sunfish sail is actually smaller than a standard Starfish sail.

I have Phantom bailers for $5 each.
Another option, but honestly, I'm not sure what will work with this boat. If a bailer was a bailer then there would be no problem, but Sunfish even has two different ones (and it looks like the Phantom bailer is even different than those). I need to figure out which and how and if the Phantom bailer will work, I'll definitely be getting back with you.
sblanck, you are correct. The Starfish sail has 7 sq. ft more area than the Sunfish sail. Fortunately, or unfortunately, my Starfish has a Sunfish set-up on it. I'd like to see what the extra area would do, but clone sails for the Sunfish are pretty inexpensive. My guess, that getting one made to Starfish specs could cost (quite) a bit more

The holes drilled in the bottom of the cockpit do in fact just drain into the hull. My brother and I moved the boat off the trailer and angled it such that we could drain it and let's just say there was evidence of the 3" of rain we had over the last few days. I set the hull on it's side yesterday and went out and drained some more out today. More water came out and the hull was noticeably lighter today than yesterday. I will try again later today and see. I also ordered a couple of 6" deck plates and will install them - I'll do some drying after that. I ordered some fumed silica to thicken the epoxy I'll seal the holes up with and then I'll have to decide whether or not to install a bailer - my guess is that I will. While the boats off the trailer I'll do a bit of touch up to the paint on it - there's nothing serious, but while its "free" I figure I might as well. The lights and wiring need attention as well.
The beginning of a new cycle of boat ownership. I have a feeling this one will be more fun than the last :)

Sailcraftri - any idea of the difference between the Phantom Bailers and those for the Sunfish?

Back