Identifying Vintage Laser

CraigT54

I acquired an older series Laser when I purchased a cabin in northern Michigan. I can see from a bracket on the back side that it was built in Canada. It has a wooden rudder and center board (recently refinished). The sail number (printed in big letters on the sail) is 1214 if that means anything. I'm interested in preparing the laser for sale. It's in decent condition with all new lines still in the package. Obviously, I'm a novice at sailboats, so don't know what all to list but thought it best to start in advertising it by finding out what year it was made. I have a number of photos available but the bracket above is the only identifying object I've seen.

Attachments

• Laser.jpg
    Laser.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 58
Looks and sounds very much like one of the earliest Lasers, built by the original Performance Sailcraft company in Montreal. The sail number should be the same as the hull number, which you can find under the bow fitting. There should be a plate/sticker on the back wall of the cockpit, too, but it sounds like it's gone. No number on the transom either?

The building year would be 1971 (the first ever) or 1972 at the latest. I should go to my own cabin/summer cottage to find my copy of the original Laser Sailing book by Dick Tillman for more information...

Purchased a cabin on a lake and now selling your toys? That doesn't sound right!
Mike, it's been cleaned up and parts refitted but never get around to using it. Looking for something more leisurely I can take my grandkids along with me. Looks like fun, though. Craig

LaLi, what's the 'bow fitting'? I don't recall seeing any other plates on the boat. Craig

Looks and sounds very much like one of the earliest Lasers, built by the original Performance Sailcraft company in Montreal. The sail number should be the same as the hull number, which you can find under the bow fitting. There should be a plate/sticker on the back wall of the cockpit, too, but it sounds like it's gone. No number on the transom either?

The building year would be 1971 (the first ever) or 1972 at the latest. I should go to my own cabin/summer cottage to find my copy of the original Laser Sailing book by Dick Tillman for more information...
I acquired an older series Laser when I purchased a cabin in northern Michigan. I can see from a bracket on the back side that it was built in Canada. It has a wooden rudder and center board (recently refinished). The sail number (printed in big letters on the sail) is 1214 if that means anything. I'm interested in preparing the laser for sale. It's in decent condition with all new lines still in the package. Obviously, I'm a novice at sailboats, so don't know what all to list but thought it best to start in advertising it by finding out what year it was made. I have a number of photos available but the bracket above is the only identifying object I've seen.

That piece is missing from my boat. I will check that area again when I'm at the cabin. Will it represent a code that will need interpreting or be just a date stamp? Craig
It's the hull number, which is the same as the number on your sail, if that sail came originally with that hull.

I don't know if the earliest boats had also a production number moulded on the transom. Here's how you interpret that: http://schrothfiberglass.com/LaserMaint.htm#THE SERIAL NUMBER:
http://schrothfiberglass.com/LaserMaint.htm#THE SERIAL NUMBER:
And by the way, whatever it says on the fittings themselves has nothing to do with what they're attached to. It's just a coincidence that your rudder fittings are also Canadian. Most basic Laser fittings were/still are made in England.

Have you found I buyer? Am curious. I'm often in N WI and am looking to fix up my Laser possibly to sell, use, trade for something with a shorter mast, or maybe trade for a shorter mast and smaller sail. It's tough to get that thing up on my own. Any tips? I already use height and walk it up but still takes someone to guide it in.

Jae, the Laser is at my cabin on Lake Huron in northern Michigan. I have yet to get there this spring to re-examine it for serial numbers but hope to do so this weekend. Once identified I'll put it on the market with its new lines and refinished wood center board and rudder. Hope to find an enthusiast up that way. I'm looking for something a bit more leisurely and able to take another person or two easily. Good luck in your search.

Finally made it north to the cabin. The number molded into the deck is 1214 - same as the sail. I believe the hull brace plate says made in Canada or Montreal. I'll check again. Thanks for the earlier link on how to identify. I'll study further as I prep for sale.

Finally made it north to the cabin. The number molded into the deck is 1214 - same as the sail. I believe the hull brace plate says made in Canada or Montreal. I'll check again. Thanks for the earlier link on how to identify. I'll study further as I prep for sale.
Congratulations - your boat is the real deal made in Montreal in 1972 and has original sails made in Toronto. I have hull number 1426 with all original gear. She can still place well, especially in light air. Did you sell the boat?

Back