Gel coat repairs

Chuso007

If you've seen my other thread you'll know I just got a "we-don't-know-how-old" laser in pretty good shape and I need some advice on gel coat repair. This is a picture of the problem:

As you can see it's not the typical "spider web" lines that you make bigger and fill with gel coat... What do you experts recommend I should do?

I've applied gel coat for small repairs before, but never actually "painted" large surfaces with it.

If you've seen my other thread you'll know I just got a "we-don't-know-how-old" laser in pretty good shape and I need some advice on gel coat repair. This is a picture of the problem:

As you can see it's not the typical "spider web" lines that you make bigger and fill with gel coat... What do you experts recommend I should do?

I've applied gel coat for small repairs before, but never actually "painted" large surfaces with it.
I recommend you ignore this and flip your top section instead. Then go sailing.
E

That's a pretty common spot to get cracks in the gelcoat. I think it's due to the fiberglass and gelcoat having different coefficients of expansion. As long as the fiberglass underneath is solid and doesn't flex, it's mostly cosmetic.

I second Emilio's opinion to just go sailing.

I recommend you ignore this and flip your top section instead. Then go sailing.
E

That's a pretty common spot to get cracks in the gelcoat. I think it's due to the fiberglass and gelcoat having different coefficients of expansion. As long as the fiberglass underneath is solid and doesn't flex, it's mostly cosmetic.

I second Emilio's opinion to just go sailing.

Well of course, that's what I'm going to do... But I will eventually get a nice looking bottom for this boat in the future, either for racing it or to get a better resale price...;)

Back