Adding a drain plug in transom

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by PeterS, May 16, 2017.

1. PeterS

PeterS New Member

Hello all-- I have an older model Sunfish to which I'd like to add a transom drain plug (a previous Sunfish I used to sail had one, and I grew to appreciate it).

I have a plug and a drill, and it seems like a very simple add-on. Should I be concerned though about drilling into a support structure? Or is the transom just one unimpeded piece all the way across? I see from diagrams online that there are foam blocks on either side, but these (at least from the diagrams) don't appear to run all the way to the transom.

Thanks for your input!

--Peter

2. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Member

Nothing in the way, go for it. Don't have a exact location but
    as low and close to the center of the transom as the rudder mount
    allows would be best.

3. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

I always install mine on starboard side close to center line as and low as possible. Don't forget that there is about 3/16" laminate thickness in that area so you want to start your hole with that in consideration.

4. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I installed a small rubber/brass transom drain plug designed for bait wells. (And posted of it at this forum).

While it's handy, the very thin material of the transom would have me adding reinforcement, such as a glassed-in brass sleeve. It's difficult to make a clean and round hole, due to shredding. Smoothing the hole with resin will help.

If you're using a plastic drain plug, such as the deck drain plug replacement plug, things should go better. Of course, it should be installed with a sealer.

5. PeterS

PeterS New Member

Hello-- thanks for the tip... As far the laminate goes, is that something that tends to shred or tear during drilling? I have a center-hole punch, so I figured I would use that to create a small recess to allow for cleaner drilling from the start. Thanks again,

Peter

6. PeterS

PeterS New Member

Thanks all for the advice!

Best,

Peter

7. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Regular hole saw works like a champ and a $3 bailer plug as well. Hull is about 1/4", which is enough. 0710160837.jpg

8. Lafayette Mike

Lafayette Mike Member

A center punch wont do much. I'd predrill a very small diameter hole as a starter. A whole saw/bit might drill a cleaner hole, but a sharp drill bit works as well. Chipping isn't a real problem if you are installing a full drain plug assembly, [​IMG]
    as it will cover most chipping. If you are really worried about chipping though, a couple techniques to limit chipping include:
    • drilling through masking tape on the hole
    • running the drill/saw bit backwards till it cuts through the gel coat.

As long as you make sure the bottom of the hole is at least 1/2 or so above the "bottom" you'll be OK.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  9. jleonard99

jleonard99 Sunny Sailer

I really like the concept of having a drain plug in the back. It would be much easier to drain and more natural for the boats position.

10. tag

tag my2fish

Mike,
    I think I like your approach the best - maybe costs a tad more for a drain plug assembly, but will look much cleaner.

tag

11. Sailflow

Sailflow Member

I would just fix the leak.
    Once the foam is wet it holds the water and you are only draining the non absorbed water so over a period of time the boat will get heavier.

• Agree Agree x 2