2:1 purchase mainsheet on a sunfish?

hospadar

tiny boat fiend
Does anyone use a 2:1 purchase mainsheet setup (i.e. with a single becket block on the end of the boom and a traveler block on the bridle - my zuma is set up this way). I'm not concerned about class-legality, just wondering if anyone uses/prefers this setup (and if so, why?).

Thanks!

Any deviation from the stock factory rig would not be class legal for racing, but for ease of cruising, who cares? You, will, however, will need a much longer mainsheet to make it work.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Although the original poster specifically said it doesn't concern him, it's probably good to state here that a Laser-style sheet arrangement actually is legal - class rule C.9.2 g) says,
"A class-supplied running block attached to the bridle may be used to allow an additional purchase on the mainsheet. When using this additional purchase, the end of the mainsheet shall be tied to the eyestrap of the aft boom block."

https://sunfishclass.org/documents/ISCA_2021_Class_Rules_021921.pdf

_

I started messing around with this last year along with a longer 1/4” mainsheet. I think it’s nice in high wind. Lighter wind I go back to my regular mainsheet because the 2:1 setup requires a lot more length and is a pain to manage in light wind.

I don’t use the traveler block. I think I have a Racelite 301A block.

The sheet length is the issue. You need so much line for the downwind so there is a a lot on the cockpit floor upwind. I have not seen any racers use it. There are better ways to sail in winds like a jens.

I started messing around with this last year along with a longer 1/4” mainsheet. I think it’s nice in high wind. Lighter wind I go back to my regular mainsheet because the 2:1 setup requires a lot more length and is a pain to manage in light wind.

I don’t use the traveler block. I think I have a Racelite 301A block.
What length mainsheet do you use for the 2:1 setup?

Back