1969 Sailfish/Sunfish Brochure

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Stache, Dec 6, 2016.

1. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that picture of the fish logo was taken at an angle. :cool:

I am puzzled :confused: you couldn't find it when you searched. They are advertised continously. Agree it is quite pricey. You can buy a good quality used sail for only $100 or so more:D

2. oldpaint

oldpaint Active Member

In the world of cartopping your Alcort, a brochure on eBay shows that you can use a Morris Minor to haul your Sailfish around. Item number 192373861723 and no it is not my ad. Its also worthwhile to read the quotes about the Sailfish.

3. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I wonder if ol' LP Bill has seen this.

4. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

A Morris Minor "to haul"—yes, as in a trailer—No Problem...

I would not have been able to car-top a Sailfish on my 1960 Morris Minor.

Attached Files:

5. oldpaint

oldpaint Active Member

I think this calls for a historic reconstruction. Volunteers needed. Who has a wooden sailfish? Who has a Morris Minor Tourer?

6. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Confused 1:
    Is Laser Performance Bill a member of the sailing forum?

Are his Styrofoam blocks being shaken and stirred by selecting hard springs? :oops:

Confused 2:
    The Morris Minor "Tourer" featured in the brochure didn't look familiar to me. It's doubtful any of that old 40s model made it to the USA—ever! Now I see that the ad was placed in Australia's version of eBay. :confused:

"Tourer" = Convertible

In those days, The UK's Morris Minor automobiles were shipped "KD" (knocked down) to Africa and Asia in wooden crates—ready to assemble. (Like the Sailfish!) ;)

7. oldpaint

oldpaint Active Member

I stand corrected on the tourer vs convertible. The tourer apparently refers to the 1940 model that had the headlights behind the grill. The pictured Morris Minor is correctly called a convertible.

That's not an Australian car since the driver is on the left. Down Under it would be right hand drive. The brochure is being sold from NY state. Anyway the quote in the "what owners say" section that its "faster than a greased cat and goes to windward like witch" is curious.

Has anyone heard of a Sailfish referred to as a "sportabout"?